TH400 Torque (Stall) Convertor?

Bob Hansen

Some of you may remember this sig photo

transbroke.jpg

This was where I broke my TH400 of 3000 miles with a 355 mouse confused

Anyways I finally dropped the trans & took it to the trans shop. As it turns out the trans is fine! It was the torque convertor that broke. eek Now this was a Summit # sum-G2702 1800-2200 rpm stall, that I broke with a street car. The convertor had about 2200 miles on it, no drag racing.

Here's the question;

What brand is stronger? Better?

It could use a lower stall rpm, but I broke the fairly new summit one???????

How common is convertor failure?

I'm guessing 450hp

I read this post discussing stall rpm's

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000181

Bob,

I found these guys on the internet a while ago. I bought one of their converts for the Olds and it took a full second off my 1/8 mile time! Call them and ask for Mickey (not mouse) smile tell him the specs on your car, engine, and intended use and they will build you one. I paid $210 if I recall for a 4500 stall. He told me that if I was not satisfied, to call him and he would send a UPS call tag and change it. http://www.torcoconverters.com/

Hope that helps,

Ian

If you just want brands thrown out there, I fully believe in TCI converters. Had one on an old camaro race car and it took everything we threw at it. Believe it was the 2000 stall model, can't remember what little name they gave it, like streetfighter or whatever..... but it was a TCI product. I don't trust any of the Summit brand stuff, but can't give you a good reason why.

Jim

I have a B&M Holeshot 2400 stall and have had no problems with it after 20,000 mi. Too bad I can't say the same for the trans though. I have that spread around the garage right now trying to figure out why it blew (still on the stands) after doing some major repairs to it.

well i have a hole shot B&M 2400 stall convertor i bought it three years ago and it is still on the bench waiting for the money to get the th400 tranny to put it in "they are the best table weight there is .... if i had it in my car i am sure it would by working perfectly.... lol

B&M AND TCI i recomend they are very good.

alex

Let's see...you had a 2200 stall converter that lasted 2200 miles? Boy, they know when that converter stalls!

I am asking a question and I'm wondering if the 2000-stall converter is noticeably different from stock.

I would look at Coan or an ATI. They are a good product and the companies are know for good recommendations. I have a TCI which has been in the car for 5 years now. I would stay away from the Hughes and B&M right now. Monte

• 4 weeks later...

I used TCI for years in street and racing and have never had one go bad yet. You may have just got a bad converter ...It happens maybe someone on the line just had a bad day or something got in the converter some shops can cut it apart and tell you why it failed and call summit and let them know sometimes they will investigate the problem if you send it to them if the problem was manufacture defect you will get another or your money back... I live in akron area and deal with them all the time they sould do something if you are resonable about the problem and keep your head cool. I don't know if you tried or not but it is worth a shot. Jim

I called Summit, explained the failure and the low miles and asked for a recommendation / solution.

The fact that their product failed miserably at such a young age, had no impact, they did not care, not their problem. They said try the TCI one, I went with the B&M because at that low stall speed the B&M has a thrust bearing and the TCI had a thrust washer.

To further add insult to injury when I ordered the B&M from Summit. I had a $10 credit good towards my next purchase before a certain date. They did not bother telling me or apply the credit to the purchase. I share some of that blame as it had slipped my mind & did not ask for it.

Summit carries some good product at good prices, but I have learned not to expect any customer service after the sale. confused

Most places have become very computer taken not to much human quality out there anymore sorry to here about the crappy service. thought they would do better than that... Jim good luck on the next adventure.

Bob I hope I won't get into this in the future cause I kind'a swear by those guys as far as fair prices and fast shipping and shipping the right parts.

Maybe you should have insisted, asked for a supervisor and mention that hundreds of a certain special family club members might hear about their weakness, with that persistance you might have gotten something, maybe.

They have the "motto" saying if your not satisfied for whatever reason they'll take it back.

Go figure

Hey, No hard feelings about Summit. The convertor was older than the warranty (even though it had only a few miles mad )

Their 100% satisfaction guarentee is within 90 days & unused.

Summit is a darn good place to shop! They could just improve after the sale service thats all.

I guess I have been spoiled by Year One, I've returned parts to them 4 or 5 years later & they were happy to help.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...