charcoal canister granules

Replacing the charcoal canister filter and loads of black granules came flying out, is this the charcoal that absorbs nasties? I lost maybe an egg cup of the stuff, do I need to replace it? Or did I just find the mouse poo bonanza?

Idk what emissions are like in Ireland but I would just clean out the canister and reinstall it. Here in the states that's what I would do if the car still had it. Many canisters were removed and thrown out "back in the day" 

• Like 1

I've had mine off to clean it and paint the bracket. As far as I know it's still got stuff in it. Yeas that's charcoal in there, mine weighs a couple pounds so I imagine the stuff is in there. The bottom falls off mine if I mess with it but I put it right back on no problem.  I guess it won't hurt to loose some of it or clean it out.

• Like 3

Got me thinking about when I discovered There was a vacuum leak in the diaphragm that controls the ability for the emission system to suck out the gas fumes. This leak also caused some rough idle and that is how I found this problem. 
It's been so long I think my solution was to replace the entire canister and it does look a bit different.

This is for my 71 350 4BBL with everything hooked up (gas tank related). The TCS system was removed in the summer of 71.

😲 Pictures are of the original canister and it's parts and I still have it.

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

• Like 2