well doesn't that suck

kc8oye

got my new laptop friday.. gotta take it back this week.. I've discovered an interesting 'feature'

if I press down on the left touch pad button with anything more then the tinest amount of pressure, the laptop immediately powers down. like you pulled the battery out of it..

needless to say, Vista is not impressed.

the next person who tells me to check the touchpad settings is going to get a tire iron wrapped around their neck.

rob.. you dont' understand what's going on.. it's not a 'shutdown' it's a 'POWER down' like you just pull the battery out of the laptop while it's running... which causes vista to complain about not being shutdown correctly, and wants to go into safemode on the next start up.

i can hit the left touchpad button while the machine is still showing the dell splash screen when i first turn it on.. and same thing.. it drops like a rock.

i called Staples... they have a tech that will be in the store after 2pm, i'm going to see what they can do about it.. if they can't fix it i guess i ship it back to dell.

i'm not blaming Vista Sam.. in fact, so far I love vista. but Vista does not like those 'cold' shutdowns...

the only thing I'm dissapointed with, is that I spent the money to have a 64bit processor and dell still only put 32bit vista on here..

my laptop specs out like this:

AMD Turion x2 64bit, 2.0ghz, 3.0gb DDR2 ram, 250gb SATA hard drive

15 inch screen that is some kind of LED/LCD cross-breed.. super super bright.

i don't have the backlit keyboard, but if i have to send it back to dell, i'm going to ask them to install it ;> the FingerPrint reader is an awesome touch..

it's got a webcam and 'digitial array microphone' whatever that is.

it's got an impressive assortment of ports.

4 usb, one of which also doubles as an eSATA port

1394a "firewire", gigabit ethernet, HDMI hd tv output, SVGA output

it's got an 8x DVD-R/W drive ... all in all a very nice machine.

asside from the fact that I don't dare use the left touchpad button lol

it's got an O.K video adapter, it's not a gamers delight, but it does run most of my games just fine :> but being my laptop i'm installing the more 'thinking' games then action games because if I'm crammed into an airplane or a car or somthing I don't have room to be using a full mouse heh.

in fact, today I'm gonna go buy a Logitech track ball from Best Buy.

can't blame Vista for that, my new Vista laptop is great

if you pull the battery out does not shutdown? all the laptops i have used even if the battery is out(if its plugged into the ac power) it will still run. when i said to change the touch pad setting i was thinking dell might have there set up like that. my hp i can turn it on by running my finger over the dvd button. since you are going to get a track ball mouse why not turn the touch pad off?

I nearly wrapped a tire iron around the tech's neck at staples.. he started lookign at the touchpad settings.. I was like dude.. if you push down on the button, the machine POWERS down.. not shuts down.. even if windows is NOT running!

"oh" he says

so he goes and 'restores' the laptop to factory default, wiping out everything I had installed on there w/o asking me first... *GRRR* he says.. hey look it's fixed! I said really? pushed down on the left button and down it went. if you touch the button VERY lightly, it works fine.. push it even a little bit firmly and it just powers down.

ROB what I was saying when it shuts down, it's not like Vista goes thru it's shutdown routines... it's like just yanking the plug out of the wall on a desktop.. just *BAM* it's off.

then when it boots back up, it gives me the black complaint screen that it failed to shut down properly

i think the touch pad is a basic trouble shooting question on a laptop. tim did you order the laptop though dell.com or did you buy it at a store? i know in your post you were talking about getting one with a 64bit chip but dell only put the 32bit vista on it. it sounds as if this laptop might have other problems with it and the touch pad is the first one to be seem.

i bought it at a local retail outlet.. I took it back to them.. they had their tech look at it.. adn their tech is in touch with dell over it..so I'm just sitting here waiting for a call back.

Mom bought her Dell laptop from the same store, and her 64bit processor came with only 32bit vista too.. that seems to be a default for dell unless you want to pay for the 'upgrade'.

The thing with 64bit vs 32bit is that the processors have all been 64bit processors for years, but there are still a lot of programs that are only 32bit so they load the 32bit version of the os on them. We bought a new Dell laptop for my wife, and it was 32bit, and I bought a new Dell desktop and it came with the 64bit... I have even loaded the 64bit version on a 3 year old Dell desktop.

Ian

savva.. I would buy a dell again.. Dell's tech support on their website is top notch.. and so far my dell desktop, and mom's dell laptop have been flawless..

no matter who made it.. you are going to have the occasional flakey unit smile

ao long as dell makes good to get it right.. i'm ok with that.

as for the 64bit o/s yeah.. i know there isn't a whole lot of 64bit support right now.. but at least having the 64bit processor.. if/when 64 bit becomes the mainstream way of doing things, i only have to make a software upgrade :>