Not Monte related but a question anyway

Most of you know i also have a Grand National, I located a spare set of original rims/wheels. They need to be restored or at least re chromed.  

Question is, does anyone know where i can get this done?  I made a few phone calls and stopped in a few wheel repair places, but no one does re chrome of wheels anymore.

Willie,

Finding chrome places is getting harder to find as the years pass.  I know of a very good Chrome place not far from Pittsburgh in Evans City, PA.   It is called Paul's Chrome.

I think Michael Boyte had all of his chrome work done there.  Willie, I will warn you, Paul's Chrome does work for very serious owners and their prices reflect that.  It would be worth a try to contact them but hold your breath when you get the prices if they do rims.  Their website says they do wheels.  Here is a link:  https://www.paulschrome.com/

rob

• Like 1

Call Chris at Advance Custom Chrome in Erie, Pa.

Not cheap, but does good work, plus I remember him showing me some wheels he had done. He has some type of process he does with wheels and it looked great. Worth a call.

https://advancedcustomchrome.com/

I do not have an answer for you but coincidentally yesterday I picked up my Dad's 87 Grand National wheels and he and I went to Summit Racing and got tires. I spent last night removing the old tires from the stock wheels and will put the new tires on today. He has decided to go back to an original look and will remove his Centerline wheels.

The point of my story is that I was examining the chrome on them and was happy that they only needed cleaned up. Looks to be a bit of a tricky rechrome if it had to be redone.

Rob i knew of Pauls and had him in mind, knowing he would be more than others i was leaving that phone call for last.

Joe I will try them with a few others i have listed, this week sometime.

Bill yes i see how much fun they will have polishing these after the re chrome. The wheels on my car are also in really good shape. But on this spare set I figured prices to re chrome are not going to go down so i should do it now rather than 5 years from now.   I called someone and they told me the rim has to be cut in half to do this, I am not sure about that but who knows (more fun)!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys, another project on my list.

With all the reproduction parts available these days, re chroming became to expensive unless you were REALLY attached to your original wheels. Even powder coating has one thinking twice about restoring vs. repro....... I've still got my '86 T-Type wheels and to get them redone is at least $600.00 !! Not to mention that the center caps are now listing for over $100.00 each.... 

Who knew that things like this would go up in value so much ???