Fiberglass Bumpers

MADMAC

I thought about using the '70 but want the car to appear stock. (But have everything glass cool) My hood is a dead giveaway but I want the car to look correct fot 1972.

hey did anyone else notice that in the disney movie "CARS" the car that was voiced by Darrel Waltrip was a FGMC ?? smile

(it reminded me of the coke machine when i saw it)

I haven't heard back from Andreas yet, but I want to get an opinion from you guys. I have switched everything over to LED on the car now now and was just wondering... do you think the bumper Andreas was thinking about getting rid of (has LED turn signals in it.)would be too much? My '72 has the turn lamps in the grille; do you think the lights in the bumper would be overkill? Like I said in an earlier post I would like to get a smooth glass bumper that looks stock, but might have to settle for a '70 or '71 and fill the holes later. The first two years of First Gens have solid grilles with lights in the bumper, would Andreas' make my front end look too busy?

My '72 has the turn lamps in the grille; do you think the lights in the bumper would be overkill? Like I said in an earlier post I would like to get a smooth glass bumper that looks stock, but might have to settle for a '70 or '71 and fill the holes later. would Andreas' make my front end look too busy?

I definately would not have them as turn signals along with your factory ones...I would fill the holes or install clear driving lights in them as it was mentioned.

Bill

You could easily fill in the holes with fiberglass & resin or use them for something else.

Or use the grille lights for projector fog lights?

Only reason I am selling the bumper, I got a new one which will have projector fog lights built in

Quick question: are you planning on driving the car on the street? I assume you have thought about this, but removing your steel bumpers will turn any small ding or bump into a huge one. I was at the track with my Buick a few years ago, and a tire rolled off a racer's trailed and into a friend's car w/ fiberglass front bumper. The tire took out the bumper, grill, header panel, radiator, and rad support. If he had kept his steel bumper it'd have been fine! Just food for thought -- also trying to dig up pics of this incident, I know they are somewhere!

My cars definitely gonna be street driven. As hard as it's been for me to find nice Monte parts in San Antonio, I figure I can risk tearing up some glass (hopefully not, but...) replacement pieces. The original stuff is getting hard to come by, and it would be cheaper to buy new fiberglass panels than hurt my original ones.

I'm still holding on to all my original parts just in case.

I have a 70 bumper from glass tek and the holes for the turn signals still need to be cut out, which i will do, but if you didnt want to a little bondo would make it level and it would look correct for your 72,,,but if your getting a discount on the one from andreas, get it and just get a 70 grille

• 5 weeks later...

Bumper from Andreas came last week or so and was still in one piece. Luckily because we all know how UPS (United Postal Smashers) like to handle packages. I got it sanded down and I'm still unsure about the LED lights. Anybody reccomend a fiberglass kit? I've seen and heard you can get them anywhere but maybe somebodies got a suggestion. I've never worked with Kitty Hair (Tiger hair) but I've heard it's not too hard. Am I wrong?

MOnteParts010.jpg

If you want to fill the holes,I would get epoxy fiberglass resin and fiberglass mats from your local auto store, then put ducttape on the reverse side of the holes and start fiberglassing away...