Torque converter

wallaby

I just got my response from Coan, they recommend a 8" w/ a 5000 rpm stall, I'm running a 10" now w/ a 3800 stall, I'm going to call them tomorrow

the bad news....it's $795 cry

Pull the trigger Sam!!. grin Talk with Craig. I spent about the same on mine and don't regret it a bit.

David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm going to bite the bullet, and let the experts tell me what I need.

When it comes to converters, I'm uneducated enough that I feel a little helpless in this situation. I'm full of misinformation, so trying to steer the builders into making it the way I think it should be would be a mistake. I just have to sit back and cross my fingers...It's a bit uncomfortable.

Now more questions:

What target are they aiming for when they select a stall RPM? Do they try to match the stall speed with your torque peak, or what?

I can't imagine a big-block that needs a 5000 stall. My HP peaks at about that point, but my torque is long gone by then. (Maybe that's the difference between street and race?) [i'm thinking out loud here] Race converter maybe uses HP peak as a target, and street uses torque peak as a target?

Whatever they come up with, I hope it's enough but not too much.

The old "Converter Fright"..A lot of us have been there...take the plunge!!..All I can say is that they make a converter thats tighter than a frogs [censored] under water untill you mash the pedal..It might not feel like stock but you'll get used to it fast and get ready to pay a little extra at the pump. Im curious to see other relpies as well. Good luck!

Give them your complete engine specifications. Displacement, heads, cam grind, intake, carb, and known/estimated Hp/Tq. Give them your tranny make and any aftermarket parts in it like hardened parts, or shift kit. Give them your rearend specs. Ring/pinion, stock/aftermarket axles, and spline count. give them rear tire size and type. Tell them your primary and secondary use for your car and lastly give them the weight of your car with you in it. That should give them all they need. If they are a good company they will ask most of these questions anyway. Just do it!!!!

Yep, their form covered all of that and more. I think I'm in good hands.

They said it would be an 11" Pro Street series (nickel furnace brazed, billet steel impeller, and three torrington bearings) custom built with 2400-2600 stall. I think it's a bit overkill, but then it should last forever. grin

***On their questionare form they had a blank space at the bottom labeled "comments".

I simply typed: "I don't want the car to drive like a Jet-Ski."

Craig thought that was hillarious, and said that was the perfect description. He said he'd probably use that analogy in his future sales pitches. LOL

Yep, their form covered all of that and more. I think I'm in good hands.

They said it would be an 11" Pro Street series (nickel furnace brazed, billet steel impeller, and three torrington bearings) custom built with 2400-2600 stall. I think it's a bit overkill, but then it should last forever. grin

***On their questionare form they had a blank space at the bottom labeled "comments".

I simply typed: "I don't want the car to drive like a Jet-Ski."

Craig thought that was hillarious, and said that was the perfect description. He said he'd probably use that analogy in his future sales pitches. LOL

Wallaby,

You won't be sorry with the Pro Street Converter. I ran one for 4 years and never had any issues. I went to their 10" Max performance converter cause of more track time. 3600 stall but because of the stator and fine design it feels darn near stock on the street but wack the loud pedal and it flashes to 3600 and the car just jumps. Craig and the guys hit it dead on for my combo.

David

I was pretty darn happy until I remembered the penalty in gas mileage. In a way I'm glad I never thought of that when I ordered, but now I'm thinking again....

It never ends. LOL

I just got my response from Coan, they recommend a 8" w/ a 5000 rpm stall, I'm running a 10" now w/ a 3800 stall, I'm going to call them tomorrow

i don't remember your combo, but i think mine is close to yours and i have a 5000 8" race converter i'm thinking of trying out, i have the 10" tci @ 3200-3600rpm in the car now. after reading this i will be installing the converter for sure.

come on spring, time to go racing.

i let you know how it goes if your interested.

Originally Posted By: Bones

i don't remember your combo, but i think mine is close to yours and i have a 5000 8" race converter i'm thinking of trying out, i have the 10" tci @ 3200-3600rpm in the car now. after reading this i will be installing the converter for sure.

very interested, or if you want to sell that converter whistle

my combo is...

12:1 468

solid roller, canfield 310 heads, single plane w/ 4150 1000HP and a 3.73 gear

my first time out was a 11.06, 11.02, 11.002 almost a 10 frown

I know I need a different converter

• 5 months later...
Originally Posted By: 71monteme
Originally Posted By: Bones

very interested, or if you want to sell that converter whistle

my combo is...

12:1 468

solid roller, canfield 310 heads, single plane w/ 4150 1000HP and a 3.73 gear

my first time out was a 11.06, 11.02, 11.002 almost a 10 frown

I know I need a different converter

don't know if you ever got that converter Sam but I just ordered a Coan today. I'll let you know how it does...Dave grin

What'd ya order Dave?

Scott it's a 10" 3500 Maximum Performance. After long discussions with Craig (great guy by the way) we decided that based on the specs for the Chevelle this would be the one. They're custom making it and he says I will hardly notice it on the street but when you nail it it will flash to 3500 (about the start of my torque curve). He has the specs on the Monte and if I like this I'll get one for Patricia's car when it's done with paint. It's also good for transbrake and NOS if you so desire...Dave grin

• 1 month later...

I finally took the plunge and had my converter installed that was custom built a few years back. It was built by Edge Racing Converters and going from a stock converter on my TH400 to this converter with my combination of components really woke the car up and has lost no driveability. In fact, the driveability my have actually improven, but it's hard to tell with the poor condition of my stock suspension.

Anyway, I do have a question. Basically the shop serviced my tranny during the install. Before with the stock converter, the tranny shifted really hard under low load, and would even scratch the tires on upshift from first also under low load. The tranny is equipped with a shift kit. However, after the torque converter was installed, it no longer does this. Is this a normal outcome when going to an aftermarket high performance, higher stall converter? The tranny still shifts quickly, it just doesn't give you mild whiplash under low loads. It will still scratch the tires in second on hard acceleration, however.

that's normal, you raised the stall speed so the shifts will seem soft unless you have your foot stuffed in it shifter

Good. Thanks. That's what I figured. And yes, it hits just as hard when I have my foot in it.

BTW, this converter was built by a little known company out of Texas I think, and so far, it is everything advertised. I just need a good set of tires because I can't keep it from breaking loose.

Hi Joel, you didn't say what stall speed you have but my Chevelle is 3500 and it did soften the 1-2 shift (low speed). The Monte is 2500 and it stayed pretty much the same. A lot can depend on the converter itself, some are looser than others at low speed so that can affect the shift action as well...Dave

yeah, my 2400 stall converter, at light throttle is just as tight as a low stall unit.. drives around town just like a stock converter.. but if I jump on it from a stand still, i can feel the engine 'free rev' up to about 2200 or so then as it continues to rev up, I can feel the converter flash and really begin to pull the car along at quite a clip :P~

Hi Joel, you didn't say what stall speed you have but my Chevelle is 3500 and it did soften the 1-2 shift (low speed). The Monte is 2500 and it stayed pretty much the same. A lot can depend on the converter itself, some are looser than others at low speed so that can affect the shift action as well...Dave

Hey Dave. Since my converter was custom built, it doesn't really have an advertised stall speed, however, when watching rpms and mashing the throttle, it jumps to about 3200-3500 (and hold on from there wink ). It would seem consistent since the cam specs put the beginning of its powerband right in that area. So with that being said, I'd conclude that my Monte and your Chevelle have a converter with similar stall speeds.

Dave, how, if at all, has the driveability been affected since you put your converter in. The only thing I notice during regular driving besides the softer upshifts is that it needs ever so slightly more RPM to get it moving, but the difference is almost negligible.