Voltage regulator

Traveler

It should be one or the other.

Someone could have swapped the alternator to a internally regulated unit and did the bypass wire modification on the 'external' regulator wiring at the core support.

Are you asking about a specific car in particular?

• Like 2

I belive 73 was the year they switched to all internal regulator so all 70 71 and 72 originally came with external regulator.  Now of course someone may have changed it over at some point in time. I'm going by memory here. And like Larry says my remember ain't what it used to be 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If that somebody was me,🤫 what would I need to do to bypass the voltage regulator or is  that unnecessary.  

I did go to a one wire alternator understanding that the gen light would glow, solved that by removing the bulb😎

55 minutes ago, Traveler said:

If that somebody was me,🤫 what would I need to do to bypass the voltage regulator or is  that unnecessary.  

I did go to a one wire alternator understanding that the gen light would glow, solved that by removing the bulb😎

If you have a true one wire alternator now, It shouldn't even involve the old external regulator. The only wire coming from the alternator is the heavier gauge wire, correct?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Yes, I remover the 2-wire connector (abandoned it) and put the alternators heavy (12 g) to the new alternators post on the rear, the new alternator had the port covered where the 2 wire connects 

Then you don't have to do anything. The alternator is doing the regulating, and the old mechanical regulator is just along for the ride.

Some Powermaster instructions show that you could wire in the dash light, but I haven't done that on the ones I have installed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I stated that the internally regulated alternator was an option, but I may have been incorrect. The 63 amp alternator was an option, but my 63 amp is not internally regulated. The service manual shows both types , but the internally regulated one may have not been available on a Monte Carlo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chevy Dave said:

I stated that the internally regulated alternator was an option, but I may have been incorrect. The 63 amp alternator was an option, but my 63 amp is not internally regulated. The service manual shows both types , but the internally regulated one may have not been available on a Monte Carlo.

I initially was going to question that, but like you noticed, they showed both types in the service manual. I looked thru the GM Heritage info packages at the time, which are pretty comprehensive as far as options, specs, etc. and couldn't find anything at all that suggested an internal regulator was an option on the Monte. But, all 3 years in the service manuals (70-72) showed those available, so I figured maybe it was plausible.

I even went thru NAPA Prolink to search alternators at the same time, and they all listed 'external' regulator only, for the ones they have for Montes. Just now, I went back to Prolink, and noticed that the 70-72 Corvette has the internal regulator, which now probably explains why it's in the service manual.

I think the 63 amp one was option code K85.

• Like 4