1970 Monte console shifter not lining up with Park/Drive/Reverse

The Archivist

I have a 70 Monte Carlo with a stock center console stock style shifter. It was converted from a column shift so the speedometer shifter indicator window was kept.  The console shifter started to not align suddenly. Drive could be park, Reverse could be Low1 etc. It changes. The only way I can tell outside of the feel what gear its in is to use the speedometer indicator window which stays correct. So if it says park it is park on the speedometer indicator window but the console shifter could say Drive or Reverse, low 2 etc. 

What could cause this sudden change and what adjustment should be done?  I recall an nut bar adjustment on the firewall (under the brake pedal area but there was IIRC an adjustment on the tranny. In my case its a new rebuilt r4700 with beefed up internals.

Thanks for any help!

New motor miles.jpg

Did you hook up the back drive linkage from the transmission to the steering column during your swap?

If not, check to see if the steering column collar turned a bit (the part where the old shift handle was). Maybe you bumped it in use, and it rotated clockwise a little.

• Like 4

Okee dokey, first make sure the car/trans is in park. Make sure the console shifter is in park also. Then go underneath the car and check the adjustment nut on the trans selector bracket. (Where the cable from the shifter attached to). Make sure it is tight. 

Then remove the 4 screws that hold the P R N D L L2 console cover off and check the adjustment nut, just like on the trans but on the shifter itself. While there also check the upper and lower cable mounting clips to make sure they are still retaining the cable. 

If it's only the speedo that is off, remove the lower dash panel under the column, locate the screw on the column for the little shift cable and adjust accordingly. I hope this helps. 

• Like 4

Thank you MCI, so to be clear the "adjustment nut on the trans selector bracket" is that adjustment on and right off the transmission itself? There is the other adjustment on the other side of the firewall under the pedals were a metal arms goes into an adjustment style bolt. 

To be clear the speedometer indicator is correct when it says its in park its in park but the stock style console shifter are landing on any number of positions  Drive, Reverse before you get a speedometer indicator reading of Park. It seems like the console shifter is slipping? 

If I'm understanding correctly there are two adjustment you can access from inside the car once the console shifter plate is removed and then there is another adjustment under the car on the transmission itself?

I'm no expert on this obviously so thank you all for your patience with my questions. 

From your description it sounds like the cable adjustment is off for some reason. Also very important, make sure you have grounds from the body to the frame, frame to engine and engine to frame. I call it the trifecta. If not, the car will use the cable as a ground and could stretch in best case but usually welds itself to the casing and not work at all. 

The "back drive" metal rod from the trans to the steering column collar also has an adjustment but from what you are saying, that adjustment is ok. 

15 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

From your description it sounds like the cable adjustment is off for some reason. Also very important, make sure you have grounds from the body to the frame, frame to engine and engine to frame. I call it the trifecta. If not, the car will use the cable as a ground and could stretch in best case but usually welds itself to the casing and not work at all. 

The "back drive" metal rod from the trans to the steering column collar also has an adjustment but from what you are saying, that adjustment is ok. 

Would this adjustment be from the top inside the car console plate removal to access?

Now with grounds I have grounds from engine to the frame. But I don't recall a ground on this center console shifter. Or a frame to body ground when we put 14 rubber new body bushings in for the frame. Are you saying to make sure this console shifter and the transmission itself have a ground wire to the frame somewhere?

The main adjustment that usually is the issue is on the transmission itself. Where the cable is mounted to the selector shaft.  Again make sure it hasn't moved or the retaining clip on the cable hasn't fallen out .

There is a similar set up on the console shifter itself. Usually not the issue but I have had a few that needed tightening. 

There is no ground cable on the console shifter as it is bolted directly to the floor. Which is grounded directly. The cable CAN be used by the car as a ground cable if you don't have enough or broken grounds. I also do not feel this is the issue you are having but Xtra insurance that is pennies on the dollar for safety on other electrical gremlins that can pop up due to bad grounds. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

The main adjustment that usually is the issue is on the transmission itself. Where the cable is mounted to the selector shaft.  Again make sure it hasn't moved or the retaining clip on the cable hasn't fallen out .

There is a similar set up on the console shifter itself. Usually not the issue but I have had a few that needed tightening. 

There is no ground cable on the console shifter as it is bolted directly to the floor. Which is grounded directly. The cable CAN be used by the car as a ground cable if you don't have enough or broken grounds. I also do not feel this is the issue you are having but Xtra insurance that is pennies on the dollar for safety on other electrical gremlins that can pop up due to bad grounds. 

59 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

So it sounds like I'm needing to inspect from under the car on the driver side of the tranny. Ill look for any loose or a missing clips.  I assume there should not be any play at this location? This clip at 7min in. This is the adjustment area you are speaking of?

Thank you big time for the help and advice. I'm going to have another crack at in the AM.

Yes, check the mounting hardware. Basically anywhere the cable mounts. There is also a chance if everything checked out ok that the cable has stretched. In that case a new cable will be necessary. 

Have you thought about becoming a dues paying member?  If not, wasn't this info worth 25.00? Lololol. 

The best 25.00 ever spent on getting correct, precise info on the first generation Monte Carlo in my humble opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1
  • Haha 1

Hope you folks had a good Christmas. So its a new rebuilt tranny install and cable so I hope it hasn't stretched and worn that quick.  About 1000 miles on it max.  I joined back in 2016, I didn't realize dues paying options had come into play. I'll look into it.

In the meantime I'm getting the monte on the rack tomorrow and will try and figure this out and will report my finings directly. 

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, The Archivist said:

I joined back in 2016, I didn't realize dues paying options had come into play. I'll look into it.

Below is the info that will get you started to become a full member, Caulder.

If you have any questions or issues with the process, let me know & we'll get you going.

Thank you!

Joe T

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/membership/joinpage/

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/membership/membership/

• Like 1

Quick question.... Would not using the original gear indicator on a four speed automatic also create issues ?

Caulder said he's installed a 700r4, but is still using a three speed indicator. 

Just a thought.

Thanks guys! I got the Monte on the rack. I could not find anything loose or a missing cotter pin on the tranny body cable area etc. It all was tight but I'm no expert by any means.  Also the nut on the column rods that are under steering by the outside firewall area were tight as well. No idea what's going on.  

The shifter basically seems like it slipping.  e.g. on the way back from getting it on the lift the console floor shifter landed correctly in drive and park. So it really varies but no matter what the console shifter displays as long as the speedometer indicator says drive your in drive or reverse and so on That's what I use to tell what gear I'm in, I just ignore what the console indicator says as it keep changing

Should I be looking into the console access plate area now?

I think one way to confirm if it’s loose would be to leave the ignition in the locked position then pull up the release on the horse shoe and see if you can move it front to rear. If you get a good 3/4” front to rear then that’s most likely the problem.

• Like 4

On 12/27/2023 at 7:48 PM, Marks71 said:

I think one way to confirm if it’s loose would be to leave the ignition in the locked position then pull up the release on the horse shoe and see if you can move it front to rear. If you get a good 3/4” front to rear then that’s most likely the problem.

Mark, thank you big time that was it! There was an adjustment bolt on the driver side was very loose and it had about 1" of play in it allow for the shifter to slip anywhere in between the slot on the chrome plated shifter structure. I put it in the park position and tightened that bolt (pretty easy to access from top wit the top plate off as you guys pointed out)  to very firm and now its lining up on both the console markings and the speedo indicator. 

Thanks all!