The pans off, and the bolt has issues

Well thank you auto zone for the 2nd torque wrench that was broken. My friend I was showing how-to do this with, was doin what he was instructed while I was on the phone. In doing so the defective torque wrench wayyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyy to much by far over torqued the bolts on the side mounted seperator plate or force plate whatever you guys perfer to call it.

It took the heads right off 2 bolts and stripped the housing of a few others.

I was able to use a chizzle and get the 2 bolts out but I am so unclear what 2 do next with this. Re-tap or re-thread whatever I dunno please instruct.

2nd would be my pan i stupidly left off and my friend came over and picked it up thinkin I was talkin about that one yada yada. Long story short the tranny hasn't had a pan on it for 2-3 days, the valve body is not on and is safe, will dust and or moisture be a problem? And how do I resolve this before I destroy my $$$ tranny

OUCH,

well with the threads chase them with a thread chasing kit. the ones that are stripped out you might be able to rethread the next size up and helicoil them with a helicoil set. Take back that pos torque wrench and have them test the torque wrench "they should have a machine to do that with at the store you bought it from" if it fails the test demand a new one "and if the rethreading/helicoils dont work out then demand a new transmission from them" or have them pay for a machine shop to weld up and rethread the holes.

now of course i would have stopped after the first one broke and thought something aint right wink with it. j/k

OUCH,

now of course i would have stopped after the first one broke and thought something aint right wink with it. j/k

I was thinking the same thing. After one of them I would have considered having the torque wrench checked for accuracy.

I don't think they will pay for the damage. They would more than likely tell you to contact the manufacturer of the wrench

Rob

I just had a thought. I believe all the trans fasteners are torqued in INCH POUNDS.

If you tried to torque them in FOOT POUNDS that would explain why the fasteners broke. Double check those torque values, it may not be the fault of the wrench.

I would seriously hound autozone for it. its the second one you got that was bad they should have better quality control than that. push the issue with the store or regional manager. dont settle till you get what you want.

alex

oh and wallaby has a good point was it inch or foot lbs? trans bolts are in inch pounds "well for my 4L60e in my truck 80-120 inch lbs = 6-10 ft lbs"

You could always drill a slightly larger hole and then put a 3/8 thread size. You would have to enlarge the pan hole that size as well. Remember when running a tap the hole must be slighty smaller that the tap size

I just used a garbage bag and put some holes in it and "bolted" it to the tranny. It should protect your valve body etc.

• 2 months later...

On the bunged out bolt holes, you can get a heli-coil kit at ACE and put the exact same size bolt back in. That's because the hole is drilled and tapped for the heli-coil. an original size bolt then screws into the heli-coil. The fix will be stronger than the original metal if you do it right.

As for the torque wrench, here's a suggestion. Don't use one on your tranny pan. It's not necessary. Using a socket wrench, put your hand on the wrench up close to the socket and, using your wrist only, tighten the bolts in a criss-cross fashion. If you use the right gasket, it won't leak, you'll get done in time for diner, and you won't ever break a bolt.

On items that do require a torque wrench, I use the old pointer kind. It lasts forever, and never goes out of adjustment. I have a clicker torque wrench, but I'm afraid to use it, although I would use it if I had an easy way of checking it.

Andrew Offutt

Andy, Check your clicker using the pointer torque wrench. Torque a bolt to say 30 lbs. with the pointer and then set the clicker to 30 lbs. and it should click right off or very close if it's correct. I've never tried this but the idea just came to mind. Worth a try. wink

I just had a thought. I believe all the trans fasteners are torqued in INCH POUNDS.

If you tried to torque them in FOOT POUNDS that would explain why the fasteners broke. Double check those torque values, it may not be the fault of the wrench.

I sencond that!!"It could have been the torque wrench operator" lol Or you could just apply "Alabama torque". lollol