72 Monte

Another post because of another long day w/out answers and continued confusion.

A few weeks ago my gas pedal was “limp” and I popped the hood and my neighbor showed me an accelerator cable I believe which wasn’t attached properly. Took to a mechanic and he replaced with a new one. This morning, I started my car and once again the RPMs shot up and wouldn’t settle. Then I noticed the cable wouldn’t come back it was stuck forward. Took back to mechanic and he said “don’t know what to do.” Took to another mechanic, same reaction. While driving home i Put my foot on the gas and once again the RPMs shot up and I immediately hit brakes turned car off and once again popped hood IMG_3213.thumb.jpeg.9825b7e81f334a8e62df78bed8aefc7e.jpegand that cable was stuck forward. At this point, I can’t find anyone to fix and not sure what to do next but driving the car isn’t an option. 

suggestions??

Is the plastic sleeve getting caught up where it slides into the housing?  If it is, probably not the correct answer but since it’s a modified setup you can try trimming a section off the sleeve. 

It would be helpful if you send 2 photos with the air cleaner removed. 1 with someone holding the accelerator to the floor, and 1 with the pedal released. There is a good view of the kick down cable for the transmission but not so for the accelerator cable. That kick-down cable doesn’t look right also. 

• Like 2

The plastic sleeve is supposed to be on the throttle side of the cable,my guess is that it is just sliding back and forth freely and probably hanging the cable up under full throttle causing your problems.

Another thing to check,   because it looks like you have  an aftermarket air cleaner, and that spacer on top of the carburetor looks home made, is to set your air cleaner back on making sure it is down all the way but not fastened to the carburetor, then either open the throttle all the way by hand  or have someone in the car press your accelerator pedal to the floor and see if your air cleaner is moving. Or you could look at the underside of your  air cleaner base for signs of the linkage interfering with the underside. Also, the cable should not be tight under the nylock nut that attatches it to the carburetor,  it should be allowed to pivot on the shaft. Also check to see if the end of the throttle cable is getting pulled all the way into the sleeve and hanging up there. 

• Like 1