Ist trip to the drag strip (timeslip and video)

1972mc

Last weekend I initiated "Christine" at the track. It was super hot (80-85 deg). Dave (72MC) and I both went. His Montie is awaiting some repairs, so he drove his SS Impala. We got to race each other 2 times and then I ran 2 more times. It's only an 1/8 mile track (Sumerduck VA)so it was a good one to practice on. It was my 1st time on any strip. Had been practicing my launches and shifting (5500 rpm shift point)techniques. Was not so concerned about reaction times, just wanted to establish a baseline. While testing, I knew there were no traction problems so you'll see my burnouts are pretty wimpy.

Before lowering my rear gear from 3.73 to 3.08 I hoped for a mid to upper 13 in the 1/4. With a 3.08, my best 1/8 mile time was 9.31 (conv to 14.52 in 1/4). So needless to say I was disappointed!!

Have read the complete Holley carb book about 4x in an attempt to optimize my 4160 750 vac sec. Has no hesitations at any point but I believe she has lots more in her!!

I can't figure out how to put a video on screen, so go to the cardomain site and view latest 2 videos.

29181290272_large.jpg

is 5500 RPM where you want the engine to shift at?

if so...are you waiting until YOU see 5500 on the tach?

if so...shift it earlier, like at 4700-5000, by the time you see 5500, then shift, and by the time the trans actually shifts, you are past your shift point

my shift goal is 6500, I have my shift light set for 5500 in first, and 5800 for second, I'm getting a reading off my recall tach about 6600 RPM, trust me, shift earlier

Hey Carl,

I talked to Dave and it seems that you have been bit by the drag bug!!! grin. He said ya'll had a good time. Although ya may be dissapointed at least ya didn't break anything and didn't bend any metal. That is a good day. Now comes the fun part, tuning, driving skill and try'in to go faster. It is a true sickness! yay

David

tach about 6600 RPM, trust me, shift earlier

2nd video is available

Thanks Sam. I'll try it next time. If the weather holds out next weekend I will hit the closest 1/4 track at Virginia Motorsports Park outside Petersburg. I am going to test jets 74 and 75 and increase timing by 1 degree. With my Keith Black hypeuretics, the engine maker does not suggest going past the 34 total, but what the hell!!

Regarding the 3.08 rear gear, are there any calculators that will tell me the change in ET with gear set change? Dave has his old 3.31 and it will take the rpms up about 250, which is all I want (for cruising). Any votes on how many 10's that will drop my 1/4 mile ET?

Originally Posted By: Bones

2nd video is available

Thanks Sam. I'll try it next time. If the weather holds out next weekend I will hit the closest 1/4 track at Virginia Motorsports Park outside Petersburg. I am going to test jets 74 and 75 and increase timing by 1 degree. With my Keith Black hypeuretics, the engine maker does not suggest going past the 34 total, but what the hell!!

Regarding the 3.08 rear gear, are there any calculators that will tell me the change in ET with gear set change? Dave has his old 3.31 and it will take the rpms up about 250, which is all I want (for cruising). Any votes on how many 10's that will drop my 1/4 mile ET?

Carl,

IIRC before I made the switch to 3.73 I was running 3.36 (8.2 10 bolt). Best time I could run on 215/70-15 tires was 13.3's(1/4 mile) something with no suspension mods. My 60' were in the 2.20 range. This was a while back.

With that mill you have lots of potential that is for sure!!! cool

David

Cool that you posted the videos, gets me thinking about Spring up here.

I know that was your first time out so I'll point something out to you (better me than a track official yelling at you) grin ...most of the time I usually wait till the cars have taken off before I do a burnout, not always though...but never roll forward spinning the tires up to the staged car. There's always the chance of hitting him or at the very least his eyes will instinctively look back at you and that could screw him up with his light. Just trying to give some advice so don't get too mad at me... smile

Bill

Looks like you had fun. I took the monte to the drags for the first time last year and had a great time. I was a first for me and the car and I kinda got hooked.

hey don't feel bad... 14.52 is respectable for a 4,000lb car in the 1/4 mile :>

when I started out, my monte ran 17.01 in the 1/4!

and I've knocked it back to 14.342 with bad wheel spin.. I'm hoping for 13.9's with the slicks this spring :>

Guest 72yellowmc
Originally Posted By: Bones

2nd video is available

You probably will be lucky to gain a tenth.... most likely a little less then that...