air box case in engine compartment

While redoing the engine compartment on my stock black cherry 70 monte, i used some purple power and blasted the fiberglass air box in order to clean it along with the rest of the firewall area. I noticed the old paint was coming off it and underneath all that careless paint was a nice original air box with the original white fibers showing thru like they should. After some thinner and a brush getting overspray off it and detailing it back to good condition, I got to thinking. What would you do, simply leave it natural, paint over it (which i kind of dont want to do because I'd lose those fibers), or just clear over it, maybe some matte clear. maybe some gloss clear. What have you restorers done for this? In my opinion any time you put paint on it you've kind of ruined its natural original appearance.

Kevin,

I think I would do the clear coat treatment of some kind. I have a feeling they had some kind of protection on them when they were new and it may have been clear coated in some what. I would try different clear coat finishes in an area it dosen't show much and see how it looks and make my decision from that. I am sure others have actually done something to restore theirs and maybe they will speak up.

Rob

My hands are still dried out from all that rubbing. lol

Paint thinner makes you feelly good...j/k

I agree, Clear Coat. Kevin you know I like shiny things.

My hands are still dried out from all that rubbing. lol

that's more then I need to know!

mine had taken a hit from somthing, so I patched it up with some bondo, sanded it smooth and hit it with satin-black krylon for plastics... looks great smile