12 Bolt orientation left-to-right?

Hesher

I have a 1970 with a 12 bolt. I have just now gotten it roadworthy, and I am trying to correct any issue i have.

My axle seem to be shifted more to the passenger side versus the driver side. There is probably 2 inches from tire to wheel well on the driver side but only a half inch on the passenger side. What would cause this? What can I check?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

collision/frame damage, these cars were mass produced, they were far from perfect right from the factory, mine's off some too

if it was ever hit before, who ever repaired it, might not have got it right

I don't thin kit has ever been hit, but I guess I can't say for sure. There are no tell tale signs I can see.

Is this something adjustable control arms could help with? Or is it just something i should leave alone?

Is this something adjustable control arms could help with?

No, the adjustable arms need to be the same length and adjusting them longer or shorter is for changing the pinion angle (rolling the "pumpkin" up or down).

Bill

I would have to go with possible frame damage or possibly it was hit on the side and the frame is fine but the body got slid on its mounts over some. Check the distance between the frame and Rocker panel lip on both sides front, back and even back by rear side markers. You may just need to loosen them up and square the body back up on the frame.

Ok, now that I am actually home with the car I took measurements. The passenger side has a hair under a half inch of clearance. I did exaggerate the driver side it seems :-[, as it has a hair over an inch of clearance. So, this seems to fall into the tolerance area of a lot of GM A-bodies.

So I need to check the bushings, but this may just be how it is.

The tire does have some marks where it makes contact occasionally, so I either have to get smaller tires or consider rolling the fenders I guess.

ugh.

Has anyone rolled their fenders? or at least trimmed them a little?

i have 4.5" backspacing.....5" seems like it hit on the inner wheel.

I trimmed mine about a 1/4 inch to fit in 275/60 15 tires. Just took a die grinder and painted bare metal then. I went to just about even with the chrome trip piece.

Click on my signature link and check out page 11 if you haven't already.

Rolling the lip is not as easy as grinding, so grinding is the method I prefer. I've seen some distorted fenders from improperly rolling the lip... eek

Bill

Bill;

Did you have to relocate the screws for the wheel lip molding??

I'm going to work on mine this weekend and see if I can't get the wheels and tires on the car. I've had them sitting long enough.

Thanks

Royce

Bill;

Did you have to relocate the screws for the wheel lip molding??

No, I think one or two are no longer on there in the center of the arch...I would have to look at it to make sure when I get home from work.

Bill

Mine has 15x8 rally's with 5" BS and 275/60-15 drag radials. I trimmed only to fix the overlap of the factory placement of the outer wheel well and the quarter. No trimming of the WO molding necessary. The wheel is very close to the frame but never contacted. I don't like the 5" BS, as it makes the rim look very shallow. I will go with 4" BS and not hit the lip.

BTW-I have found it is easier to trim with a cutting wheel than a grinder.

Carl

When i had 295/50 under the rear of my we trimmed the the wheel well lip so the tires would not rub. When I went to the current setup 255/50/16 I was left with hardly any room to spare 26685730081_large.jpg. Carl you might be able to get away with 4.5" backspacing 26685730083_large.jpg Again the right backspace is the key so you don't have anything rubbing. Royce as you can see in the first picture I did move my wheel well chrome screws to catch the lip.

Thanks Allan I had a brain frat this morning. 4.5" backspacing will be about right for a 15x8 rim. We have 15x10 with 5.5" backspacing on the elkie. Carl I believe they make a 255/60 drag radial you might want to look into that.