Fuel Tank vents

Hi, I know this has been asked before and i've done multible searches for an answer, and im still confused confused I had the tank media blasted and it's goin back in this weekend hopefully....I have 3 vents.. 2 on either side and one in the middle of the tank.all at the top edge...the fuel line comes off the sending unit. But where do those vent tubes belong.it seems to me they were just hooked together when it was removed.I do have the venting fuel cap. Thanks RCR

I had mine out last fall to do the same thing you are. I haven't been under there since then but if I remember right there is a vent "Box" behind the back seat that reaches to the bottom of the car where the three vents from the gas tank you talked about hook up to. There is also a bracket that helps mount and seperate the vent hoses. I will check my records and see if I have a picture of it, if so I will post it.

I had mine out awhile ago, cut the lines and left them in place until I ran the new lines so that I would be able to get it right. I will have access to the underbody to take a picture later next week if you still need help.

Mark

ok the two that come out of the sending unit are fuel out "large line" and return "small line" the other three hook up to the vent tower "the three that are grouped together on the pass side of the tower" then the one by its self on the drivers side of the tower hooks up to your vapor line. that runs on the driverside frame rail,

alex

• 4 weeks later...

Say, I was wondering about that vapor collection thingy behind the rear seat....does that need to be there? If I have it taken out will my car blow up or catch on fire? I noticed it has 4 lines running out of it. I haven't traced them all, but I did see that two ran to the upper corners of the fuel tank. The guy that is working on my car said I didn't need it and we already took out the canister from the front.

Someone help me please? smile

the vent tower is there for venting fumes from the tank and buring them off in the engine. "for better fuel mileage. depending on if your car had emissions equipment which texas does have emmisions requirements "depending on location" which if the car came with it it must keep that emmisions system installed unless it qualifies as an exempt vehicle. all in all its up to you.

alex

From what I understand.. only '72's have that vent tower behind the rear seat. I took one out my '72 body I scrapped.. and there was no where to put it on the '70 body shell I bought from leo.