anybody running spools.

montique

well ive heard the horror stories for spools on the street. i have a eaton posi with 4.10 gears now. im looking at about 650-700 horsepower max to the ground. im going to upgrade my axles but dont know will the 30 spline size hold. does anybody know if i send my posi in to get it with a different spline so i could run bigger axles. it is going ot be street strip car. thanks.

Wow, at that level, I would think a spool or detroit locker may be your only real options. You definitely need to upgrade your axles as well. I have heard that the currently installed carbon fiber clutches installed in Eaton units don't hold up well to massive amounts of power like you will have, but they work very well for say under 600 hp or so. The old style clutches supposedly hold up to more power and higher clamping forces. I am pretty sure you can upgrade your side gears to larger splined units.

Is there a price range you want to stay in? If you really want to have that much power to the ground, I would get an upgraded rear end that included ford style housing ends too.

if you are going to put that much power to the wheels...you need to throw away the 12 bolt and get a axle that'll handle that kind of power

I have 650-700 at the flywheel and I have concerns how long my 12 bolt will take it eek

well right now im waiting for the procharger to come in. im working on finishing that budget and whats left over to rearend. regardless i got to upgrade. right now i think the strange axle and spool package is the best. strange is the only company hat said there c-clip eliminators wont leak. that would be there hy/tuff axles. i really leaning now towards the spool. thanks for the info.

I know guys with 12 bolts running 9's

and no they are not just light cars. One of them is a 9 second chevelle SS shocked

as for a spool on the street. I wouldn't, but depends what the car will see more. track or street

ive heard the horror stories for spools on the street.

Originally Posted By: montique
i really leaning now towards the spool.

What made you change your mind?

I could not imagine using a spool on the street...don't even think of turning a corner on the street if it is even slightly wet.

I would get the next best thing like the Detroit Locker.

ive heard the horror stories for spools on the street.

i really leaning now towards the spool.

What made you change your mind?

I could not imagine using a spool on the street...don't even think of turning a corner on the street if it is even slightly wet.

I would get the next best thing like the Detroit Locker.

dittodittodittoditto

a spool on the street is a accident waiting to happen eek

there are a lot of guys in my local car club running spools on the street.. your biggest problem is that it's going to kill your turning radius.. you will need _LOTS_ of room to be able to turn around in parking lots and stuff.

have you considered somthing like an ARB Air Locker or maybe that Eaton Posi unit that is also an electric locker?

and I agree with the guys.. 12 bolts can stand up to a LOT of power... with quality axle shafts, and few other upgrades you should have no worries upwards of 1000hp

but if you really want somthing strong, take a look at the strange S60 axle smile

Its not the best but you get used to it. Like Steve said, my eliminator kit leaks (they all leak!) I had the Eaton posi from Strange along with the upgraded axles (31 spline), and would over power the posi at the track (making around 725 hp). Spool in it now and its night and day. It depends on what your going to use the car for, a lot of track time you definately need the spool.

Scott

thanks for the info. as for now im going to only be running 7 pounds of boost. im going to get the c-clip eliminators and see how the eaton and axles take it. its a street car and i could deal with the turning radius it has weld prostars 15x3 in front anyway. no hard launches from transbrake just be off the stahl convertor around 3400. if the axles call it quits then it will be spool and strange 33 spline axles.

anybody run minispools on the street?

Summit has a minispool for an 8.2" ten bolt (my axle) for about $90.. I'm looking at $250 and up to fix the posi....

but the mini spool says 'for dirt track use only'