Restoring Sail Emblems

vince

I painted mine from the front (all black) then used some very fine grit emry paper to take the paint off the letters. Put the paper on a block of wood and take the paint right off. Came out brand new.

Place them face down on 3" painters tape and spray the black from rear of emblem

As Frankie said just protect the face as best you can. I wouldn't be too concerned, if you have a rag with some carbon tet (gumout) handy you can carefully wipe the face of the chrome clean. One other thing you can do is go to a good model shop and get some liquid masking tape and brush it on the chrome surface. After the black has dried you can just rub it off.....MORE PIC'S!!!!! love your car...Dave grin

I sprayed mine black and wiped the chrome off with a towell and reducer while it was still wet. It worked real nice actually. I had no pits or anything in mine, just faded black. I did the same thing with the rear emblems for the rear body panel. It was quick and easy, and is holding up nicely so far!

fine grit emery paper, liquid masking tape, towel and reducer, All are excellent ideas. I was thinking around the same lines only using acetone or paint thinner. Anything special for the paint? or will plain high gloss rattle can paint work?

fine grit emery paper, liquid masking tape, towel and reducer, All are excellent ideas. I was thinking around the same lines only using acetone or paint thinner. Anything special for the paint? or will plain high gloss rattle can paint work?

Vince I don't think they were high gloss, usually most trim was done in what they call 60% but a good semi-gloss or satin would work good..... grin

Thanks Everyone for your advise. I used the technique above and everything turned out good. I was very happy with the outcome yayyayyay

i was bored one afternoon in the winter last year.. so I grabbed a can of rust'oleum satin black and a modeling paint brush, and hand-painted the black with a very fine paint brush... it took a while, but it came out REALLLLY nice.

Those emblems look great. I'll ask how do you get them off the car. I haven't tried it because I thought they might break. I know how the one on the back panel comes off but not the sail panels. Thanks for everyones info.

It's been a while since I took them off, but if I remember I used a shop rag against the car and preyed them off with a plastic putty knife.

It's Probably not the best methiod to do, but it worked for me. The pegs on the emblems seem to have a spring loaded wire that expands once in the hole.

Just barrel clips on the ones in my car. Pry gently would be my only suggestion. Sometimes you can get the strapping from a box,the hard flat plastic kind, and work it in behind and pull out on the emblems.