The Roll Bar Craze

Jared Richey

Dropped the Monte off at JP Automotive Performance and Racing about 5 pm today to install a 6 point roll bar.

I'm 18, so no fancy removable door bars, but it will be looped over the back seat through the package tray so the rear seats will be installed.

The shop found it very interesting that my car on the street is running 7.40s already with bascially an out of the box 750 Holley DP carb. They said with a different bigger carb, and few more tricks, she'll be knocking 7 flat all motor.

Anyway everything is $600 installed including all the materials. The best part...done in 3 days or less. grin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped the Monte off at JP Automotive Performance and Racing about 5 pm today to install a 6 point roll bar.

I'm 18, so no fancy removable door bars, but it will be looped over the back seat through the package tray so the rear seats will be installed.

The shop found it very interesting that my car on the street is running 7.40s already with bascially an out of the box 750 Holley DP carb. They said with a different bigger carb, and few more tricks, she'll be knocking 7 flat all motor.

Anyway everything is $600 installed including all the materials. The best part...done in 3 days or less. grin

way to go Jared!!! that sounds great, yeah the swing-out stuff adds a lot of cost (doubled the cost of my kit) but I'm too old to be crawling over bars..I wish I was closer, I'd lend you my new Prosystems DP and it would blow you away. My best 1/8 was 7.48, I took the new carb out of the box, bolted it on and ran a 7.19 first pass.... cool

Can you give me the info on that carb please? grin

part number, cfm? I was told I need atleast an 850 Doublepumper

it's a custom build Jared so there's not really a part number. I called Patrick at ProSystems (several other guys on the forum have his carbs), told him what I had and he bulit a carb to that spec. He told me to bolt it on, don't change anything and try it out. Then give him a call and discuss it (haven't done that yet). He said he could pretty much guarantee me 2-3 tenth improvement, so far I have 3.5 (I only got to make 1 run)!

It's a 920 cfm....no choke housing....50cc accel pmps frt/rr....045 sqrtr frt/rr...6.5 pri PV....84 prim jet....92 sec jet...

expensive but I don't know how I would have gotten that kind of improvement for less....very, very happy with it (plus it looks cool!!)

ProSystems 727-490-5717...they're in MI.

jared is planning on pouring cement mix down into the pvc to give the illusion of steel. if he pays me 100 u.s. dollars i will not tell the drag strip tech official.

it doesn't matter, the tech will find something to complain about....it's their job.... eek

okay...okay...Tommy, I'm welding in the bar!!! I just won't pick up any hitchhikers from now on.....and Dave, buddy, ..you're going to have the same problem with that new motor!!! grin

Dave I'm just kidding you because it's become such a hot topic. I wouldn't weld it and I don't think that you should either unless the guys at tech make you change it. I personally really like the way you have it now and would hate to have you change it if it's not necessary. frown Tom

Only too them 2 days. Dropped it off Monday night, got it back Wedneday evening. Labor, Materials everything...6 point. $600

454engine141.jpg

More pics here on myspace. Bottom of page five and on page 6. Also check out the other pics.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf...6759&page=5

Looks great Jared!!! Were you able to keep the armrests? Did they run the rear bars through the package tray? Sorry bout that I just looked at the rest of the pic's They did a great job!!

Thanks

David

Looks great Jared!!! Were you able to keep the armrests? Did they run the rear bars through the package tray?

Thanks

David

To be 100% sure of being ok at bigger NHRA tracks, NO ARMREST..oh well. And the bars are run through the package tray. The rear seats will be able to be installed.

This setup is goo to 6.49 in the 1/8 mile. I'm thinking 10 in the 1/4

Hmmm... interesting... I never even thought about the armrest clearance. I wonder if the swingout down bars would clear them?

You say to make sure that it passes at other tracks; what size tubing did you use? Would tech inspections be that different from place to place?

Hmmm... interesting... I never even thought about the armrest clearance. I wonder if the swingout down bars would clear them?

You say to make sure that it passes at other tracks; what size tubing did you use? Would tech inspections be that different from place to place?

The door bars have to run the way they are to pass at NHRA tech, just depends on the tech offical though, some would pass u, some would not.

Its whatever size tubing you have to have. Same as any other bar. smile I don't know off the top of my head. But the door bars directly would hit the armrest and the door would not shut.

Basically to be legal, the bars can't loop around the armres, they have to be the way they are. At my local track, things you can get away with would never fly at an NHRA track.

Originally Posted By: MADMAC

The door bars have to run the way they are to pass at NHRA tech, just depends on the tech offical though, some would pass u, some would not.

Its whatever size tubing you have to have. Same as any other bar. smile I don't know off the top of my head. But the door bars directly would hit the armrest and the door would not shut.

Basically to be legal, the bars can't loop around the armres, they have to be the way they are. At my local track, things you can get away with would never fly at an NHRA track.

Alright, I gotcha Jared, I guess sacrificing the armrests isn't really that bad.