Head liner

black07ss

Tomorrow my son and I are going to remove the console, rear inside trim and the quarter glass along with the head liner. I feel a couple of metal rods going from side to side. Is it as simple as pulling down the rubber trim around the edge and slipping out the rods?? Is there any special technique used in pullind off the rubber trim around the edge. It appears as though it is just wedged on there.

I have not done this yet...but I remember seeing a detailed post about it in the past. If I remember right, there are a bunch of holes at the end of each rod for adjustment and it's important to put the same rods back into the holes they came from?

I think it's just a matter of keeping track of how it all comes apart so you can reassemble it the same way. You don't want to mix up the rods, or get them in the wrong holes.

Does that sound right?

Wallaby is right...the last thing you want to do is mix up the rods!!!! They are specific for each position.

I recommend cutting the headliner material and leaving the rods until your ready to put the new one in.

Steve

Steve, this is a great suggestion. Not only does it keep the rods in the same order it allows you to see how and where everything goes back together.

If I remember correctly it has also been suggested the to lay it out for a little while to allow some of the wrinkles to work out. I know there are a lot of little tricks to any project you take on.

Rob

so my best bet is to remove the head liner and leave the frame intact. I was not going to replace until the car was painted. Do the rods go through the headliner or are they glued to it??

There are loops sewn into the headliner that the rods slide through.

There are some very helpful tips Here in the tech archive!

That should help you out with the install. Its really not all that bad, I did my car by myself in the garage. The metal binder clips found at Staples or Office Max work awesome, they hold tight,and dont do any damage to the liner.

This was the only pic I found of my install, looks like it was after it was all glued up but before I put in the windlace and other little stuff.

2621328_41.jpg