Driveshaft leaning to the left...

gooneybird

Howdy.

I have a problem with my driveshaft. I had the Monte up on the lift when I noticed my driveshaft was leaning to the left by perhaps 2 inches and was not centered properly. It is nearly rubbing against the underside of the car. The transmission mount is about to fall to pieces and I got a new one that looks exactly like this 2295.jpg

I tried to put it in (I have a TH350/350 combination) but it seems to small in width to fit, and I don't know how that pin on the front is supposed to fit?

My first question is, is this the right mount?

Secondly, what would cause the driveshaft to be out of alignment like that, perhaps the motor mounts? That's all I can think of. It wouldn't be the pinion angle because that only adjusts vertically, not horizontally?

I don't have pictures as of yet, may get some soon.

Thanks again,

Rich

that tab on the mount should go through a hole in the crossmember

if the car has been in a accident the frame could be out of square, or a motor mount/frame stand could be bent or broken away from the engine or engine crossmember

get it up on jackstands, grab a flashlight and start looking, take your time, look everywhere, lift the trans with a jack under the pan, grab the tailshaft of the trans and see if you can pull it back or see if will move farther away, have someone help you and watch the engine mounts while trying to move the trans, check the trans bellhousing for cracks too

Rich, these guys are probably onto your problem. I put new motor mounts in our 71 and they were not built square. They had the motor twisted and the trans mount would not line up. I returned them and got the good poly ones. Problem gone.

Dan

I would check the ends of the cross member as well. On your Monte the cross member is not bolted to the frame but sits with rubber mounts inside sheet metal caps on either end. I've seen these rubber mounts dry up and fall off, the ends of the cross member rust off (from sitting in the rubber mounts and staying wet) as well as the sheet metal caps rusting away. So as a result the cross member is moved to the side from the torgue of the engine which probably also means you have a broken motor mount as well.

I suggest replacing the cross member from one out of a Chevelle. They are bolted directly to the frame and the holes are already there to do so.

My 2 cents,

Steve

I would check the ends of the cross member as well. On your Monte the cross member is not bolted to the frame but sits with rubber mounts inside sheet metal caps on either end. I've seen these rubber mounts dry up and fall off, the ends of the cross member rust off (from sitting in the rubber mounts and staying wet) as well as the sheet metal caps rusting away. So as a result the cross member is moved to the side from the torgue of the engine which probably also means you have a broken motor mount as well.

I suggest replacing the cross member from one out of a Chevelle. They are bolted directly to the frame and the holes are already there to do so.

My 2 cents,

Steve

see..I've been telling everyone Velle's are good for something.... grin

stock MC's don't use that tab.. it's a by product of making one mount to fit a number of applications. depending on what brand the store stocks, I've gotten some with, and some with ouy.. last time I had one with.. i just cut it off.

I had the same problem with my drivetrain not lining up.. turned out I had two different engine mounts in the car, from the last time i swapped the engine. I had to use two very large prybars to make the trans mount line up.. and it was constantly shreading trans mounts...

when I put the last engine in, I purchased two brand new mounts and all my problems went away.

Originally Posted By: Monteman1971

My 2 cents,

Steve

see..I've been telling everyone Velle's are good for something.... grin

Besides making Monte's look really good?

I have two bolts through the frame on each side of the rear trans cross member. I know because they are too long and protrude down about 3/4" below the frame and I got hooked on one crawling under the car. I also have the rubber ends and remember lot's of rust inside the rubber cushions.'71 350 made in Canada.

Bruce

i got an impala cross member from leo a long time ago. and it bolts into the frame too.. other then the exhaust arches beeing a little closer to the center then a monte, it works great.

(I think the arches are to clear the early impala X-Frame, not the exhaust)

Bruce.. turn the bolts over.. point the up into the frame smile

Thanks for the tip. Yes I could do that, the bolts were that way from the factory so I just replaced them the same way.

Sorry for the late reply!

Thanks to everyone for the advice...I cut that tab off of the trans mount and it slotted right in.

I bought 2 polyurethane engine mounts and replaced the very dead and old steel mounts that were currently in there. Drive shaft is straight again.

Many thanks again, don't know what I would do without you guys sometimes!