Class

Chevyss

Doing some research with the NHRA handbook. Trying to figure out what class would be the best for the Monte. How about top sportsman?? What do they mean by an oil retention system?? I know dummie, not just learning. Thanks in advance.

Royce that's more of a gasser (ProComp) type class. Oil retention is also called a diaper. It's for containing oil if the motor lets go. In your car you don't need one until you run a 10.99 starting 2011.....this year it's still 9.99

Unless you're going to compete in the NHRA series then you really don't need to worry about a class. Whatever track you run at will have something your car will fit into unless it's just a TNT day (it's different now from when you and I used to race). You only need the rule book to guide you on safety requirements that is dictated by your ET. Right now all you need is a helmet and a driveshaft loop plus the obvious stuff like seatbelts and lugnuts that engage the wheel studs by at least the diameter of the stud (shouldn't be an issue with your car).

Most of the more serious safety stuff kicks in after 11.50 or 7.35 quarter and eighth...Davey

At what point is a driveshaft loop required?

13.99 with slicks......11.49 on street tires....most tracks will ask about it though, just a good idea...fact is the NHRA rules don't make a lot of sense. Significant driveshaft failures are usually speed (RPM) generated. Their logic relates to how hard the car is launching (slicks vs street tires) and true you could blow a yoke or u-joint on the line. The real issue it losing the driveshaft at speed when they can exceed their critical RPM limit. They will explode in the middle as I experienced earlier this year... shock

Guess I need to look into a driveshaft loop. Been thinking of this issue for a while. Safety first. This will be along with a new Denny's driveshaft. Thanks Dave

Guess I need to look into a driveshaft loop. Been thinking of this issue for a while. Safety first. This will be along with a new Denny's driveshaft. Thanks Dave
dennys is where you eat at aint it? devil

So Dave's recommending that you just go and act as if you have no class, and the race officials will tell you where you can put it.

LOL

So Dave's recommending that you just go and act as if you have no class, and the race officials will tell you where you can put it.LOL

actually that's pretty accurate.... grin

Just ordered loop from BMR. Suppose to fit exactly.

I have the BMR loop and I can tell you, yes, it's a perfect fit. - Dave

IMO to all who see drag time, street or strip, I don't care what NHRA rules say or if you race anywhere that NHRA can't touch you. Even if you just like to get on it in the streets every now and then.

GET A DRIVESHAFT LOOP. They are cheap easy to install and truly are a SAFETY feature. Some of the things seem like they're just hoops to jump through to run down the track on TNT days, but really the driveshaft loop can save serious damage to you or your vehicle.

I'm thinking about it.

Do these loops have to be welded in, or can they be bolted?

[edit] I just looked these up: either bolts or welds are ok, but geez...$94.00?

It looks like a short piece of tube with tabs.

DSL007H_small.jpg

yeah Mark they bolt in as you found..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMR-DSL007H/

the BMR piece is really nice and works. Most others are not angled like that and are a pain, not to mention not really legal because the loop ends up more than 6 inches from the center of the ujoint.....

yeah Mark they bolt in as you found..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMR-DSL007H/

the BMR piece is really nice and works. Most others are not angled like that and are a pain, not to mention not really legal because the loop ends up more than 6 inches from the center of the ujoint.....

Thats right Dave.

I got me a METCO loop a few weeks ago and I'm going to get rid of that piece of junk Universal loop I spent 3 hours trying to install and it still ain't right!

I guess you get what you pay for on those universal loops.

I have the metco loop metco perfect fit. I bolted it in. I took out the seats and pealed back the carpet. I put plates on the floor to reinforce the floor pan and tacked the bolt heads to the plates so I can remove the loop if needed without removing the seats. 25 bucks cheaper than BMR

I have the metco loop metco perfect fit. I bolted it in. I took out the seats and pealed back the carpet. I put plates on the floor to reinforce the floor pan and tacked the bolt heads to the plates so I can remove the loop if needed without removing the seats. 25 bucks cheaper than BMR

yeah but I bet it doesn't come powdercoated red to match your car!!!