need a QUIET electric fuel pump

Tims71

Hey,

I'm running a holley "red" electric fuel pump, I have it mounted to the frame crossmember over the rear diff, I just added a 1/2" Thick rubber isolating pad to try and quiet this thing down some and it did make a bit of difference but not enough for what I am after its still pretty loud both inside and out, what I would like to know is what are you running and is it nice and quiet or noisy, figure it might help me to narrow down which one to buy,

thanks Tim

Tim, what ever you do, don't buy an Aeromotive pump. The one I have is so noise. I have to turn the radio up to drowned out. I have a rubber insulator between it and the trunk floor and it's still noisy. Good Luck

I had the Holley Blue and it too was very noisy.

Tim, what ever you do, don't buy an Aeromotive pump. The one I have is so noise. I have to turn the radio up to drowned out. I have a rubber insulator between it and the trunk floor and it's still noisy. Good Luck

Royce, your Aeromotive A1000 series pump is noisy? Mine is extremely quiet...matter of fact I always suggest it to anyone that is looking for a quiet pump...also it is can handle most peoples hp needs.

Yes Bill it's noisy. Just turn the key on and it just rattles. I followed the installation notes you sent. Maybe it's just where it's mounted.

Yikes...it should just emit a low hum with no rattle what so ever.

Tim another thing to look for is a return style regulator, that helps quiet a pump down.

Whew, for a second I was getting worried. I picked the Aeromotive set up just because of the reviews I read that said it was quite..

I wouldn't want the fuel pump noise to compete with the Pete Jackson Gear drive or Flow Masters... nutzshocked

Get a Mallory. My Mallory series 110, p/n 4110 is very quiet. With the car running, I have had to put my hand on it to verify if it was working grin. I have said it before, Mallory only does one thing right and that is their fuel related stuff.

With that being said, I do like Bill's setup. - Dave

looks like I may go the mallory 4110 or 4140 route first, every review says they are quiet, fairly inexpensive too compared to the aeromotive so not too big a loss if I don't like it, but seems like luck of the draw with the aero on whether its quiet or not

I ran the red Holley pump in the past and they make a constant noise. By design, they have to be rotating all the time to work. I have also owned cars with the solenoid or pulse type of pump, and those Rattle until they build pressure and then slow down to a steady thumping unless demand is high.

I found that the trick to make them seem silent is in the mounting. If you bolt it directly to the trunk floorpan for example, it would be like bolting it to the body of an acoustic guitar. Find a solid place to mount it and then isolate it with rubber mounts. For example, use a metal plate to your frame and use rubber between the plate and frame, but also use rubber under the bolt heads and the retaining nuts. The rubber should be on both sides of the plate, and both sides of the frame...so each bolt passes through 3 pieces of rubber. Then you can use the same method to mount the pump to the plate. Don't use the pump mounting bolts to go directly to the frame.

Here is a picture of a backyard fix that probably works quite well:

F350-91-ElecFuelPumpMount-Pump.jpg

And here is another method:

dscn1183(1024).jpg

It looks as if this second picture uses these for mounting:

027-11601.jpg

This is the kind of job where those old sway bar links and bushings could come in handy....or even an old transmission mount..or muffler hangers...

02.jpg

Thanks Wallaby,

I do have it rubber mounted, I used a 1/2" rubber pad and cut it to fit the bracket,the pump body is also rubber wrapped then slid into the bracket , I also relocated to the frame x-member back by the rear diff so its not even mounted to the body but its still pretty noisy,

I used to run the Mallory Comp 140 - very quiet, had it in the car for 7yrs with never an issue. Like Sam I run the Magnafuel pump (Quickstar 300) now....very noisy which I like (I will always be a kid LOL), and sorry Sam going on 3yrs and its just starting to seep a little so will regasket it shortly.

I used to run the Mallory Comp 140 - very quiet, had it in the car for 7yrs with never an issue. Like Sam I run the Magnafuel pump (Quickstar 300) now....very noisy which I like (I will always be a kid LOL), and sorry Sam going on 3yrs and its just starting to seep a little so will regasket it shortly.

no worries here lol

I really like the silence of the mech pump now (I must be getting old) lol

Just bolted up the the mallory 4110 and I would have to say its at least 80% quieter then the Holley 'Red" pump you can still hear it hum but at least its not louder then the exhaust now,and much quieter inside the car as well, also I mounted it on a rubber pad and made up some rubber washers to go under the bolt heads as well even though it is mounted in its own rubber isolator built into the bracket, I just wanted to make sure theres no contact on the body at all and it seems I have accomplished what I was after,

Does anyone running the Mallory 110 know what their actual fuel psi is? I know it says its factory set for 7psi but I notice now I've dropped from 7.5psi with the holley to 5.5-6psi with the mallory and the needle seems to bounce/flicker quite a bit between 5-6 I think it was alot more stable before and just kinda stuck at 7psi, not sure how normal this is.

Tim

Tim, I have the same one. I noticed that the pressure would drop after awhile to 6+. I sat in traffic one time for an hour an noticed the pressure went to 8.5-9 and was loading up the carb and was alittle concerned. I have the cheap fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment, attached to the fuel line and it bounces alot. I also run an Autometer Pro Comp electric gauge from my Mallory Comp 160 filter(pn MAA-3160) to the cabin. The gauge in the cabin is much better. The 110 pump does not need a regulator BUT, I began to have concerns with the fluctuation of pressures and in an effort not to burn the pump up before its time, I purchsed the Mallory regulator 4309 (pn MAA-4309), and installed a return line to the gas tank. I adjusted it to 7 pounds and everything has been very stable ever since. The regulator and return line is the key. - Dave

Yes my pressure starts out at about 6.5 psi then drops after a bit also, but I dont get the pressures you get, I already have a holley reg installed and I even tried to crank it up and no increase in pressure so its probably wide open already and just running straight pump pressure, whats acceptable as far as pressures go should I be concerned, whats too low? I know the 750DP doesnt like more then 9 but I shouldnt have to worry about that, The new pump is factory set at 7.5 I think it was but then again its not producing that, maybe a bad pump?

Tim, how big is your return line versus your supply line to the carb? Can't imagine your return line is too much bigger than your supply line. I know that the return line is to be the same size or one size bigger than the supply line but that is it. Just fyi, if your return line is smaller than the supply line, your pressures will skyrocket.

As far as what pressure is too low, I don't know. I have never encountered too low of pressure and fuel starvation. Hopefully someone else knows for sure. - Dave

Dave, I don't think it has a return, main feed comes to the reg, then feeds the carb inlets, the other output from the reg goes to the fuel selenoid for the nitrous then to the injector plate at the base of the carb (front) Main NOS feed goes to other selenoid which then goes to rear of the injector plate, but I dont see any return lines

Tim