Need to re-enter login info every week or so

Katman

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now. Does anyone else experience this? Every week or so I have to re-enter my login information or I am not logged in when visiting this site. I have setup the login each time to "remember my login info". That works for about a week. Is this due to a setting on my PC or the way the web site works for everyone?

does this to me too. gets on my nerves so bad.... it logs me out every 2 days or so.. but EVERY OTHER SITE that i go to their message board i'm still logged in, even if i haven't been to that site for months.

Do either of you clean out your cookies on a regular basis? On my computer at home I only reboot a couple times a month, and it seems to remember me most times. On my laptop I have to log in every day from work...

I'm not sure how often, but yea..I have to sign in again every so often. It was just this morning for me.

Do either of you clean out your cookies on a regular basis? On my computer at home I only reboot a couple times a month, and it seems to remember me most times. On my laptop I have to log in every day from work...

I rarely clean out cookies - make once every couple of years.

OK I changed cookie expiration from 6 days to 1 year. Let me know if this helps

Next year we'll have people complaining that they can't remember their login passwords.

for me its everytime i turn the computer on...

also if i check the remember me box on sign in it does not log me in and i have to start over.

it gets alittle flustrating but this club is worth it!

lol

That is always a part of the problem. My helpdesk was just forced to enforce a new password policy at work, prior to this policy we got 30 calls per month with people coming back from vacation or getting a new PC or whatever that did not remember how to log on to the PC (forgot password). Since the new policy is in effect which makes them change their passwords every 60 days, our calls have been cut in half.

With how many stolen accounts there are on the internet these days and how prevalent phishing attacks are, I don't see why people could not understand how dangerous it is to "save" your password in your browser. Many people use the same passwords for multiple sites and some even use the same password for everything including banking. You might as well leave your car unlocked and your front door open when you go on vacation too. It's just stupid to make it that easy for people like me that know how, to get your data. You wouldn't leave your wallet on your dashboard of your car at the mall, why would you make it this easy for someone to steal your identity and credit history?

So, you have to put your password in once a week, I put it in every day. I remember mine. You will too. I just don't get it.

I think there is a secure middle ground for managing accounts and passwords. Personnally, it was annoying to have to reenter the same info every week. Some accounts I go low tech and use the same password on every site. Some accounts like banks, I don't. I have multiple passwords depending on how secure I want to be. If someone wants to get into a forum using my ID and I find out, I'll change it. But until then, I'll take the highway and not login every day.

I was listening to a humorous radio show and they were talking about passwords: they said often times the software will give you suggestions on coming up with a password. (Your dog's name, the street you lived on as a child, your favorite restaurant, etc). Their advice was: "Don't use the favorite restaurant password, because everybody knows it's Red Lobster". LOL

Click on My Stuff at the top of any page a choose cookies, and expire the current cookie then log back in and it will reset to the new expiration date.

Click on My Stuff at the top of any page a choose cookies, and expire the current cookie then log back in and it will reset to the new expiration date.

Thanks Ian. Just expired the cookie and re-logged in.