Load Levelers

Guest Charlie

Does anyone think it is worth the effort to search for, purchase and install the factory Load Levelers on an

otherwise original, unrestored 70 SS454?

One of previous owners many years ago removed them, and rear of car now sits noticceably low.

My mechanic for my daily driver car(s) wants to replace existing coil springs with bigger ones to raise rear of car to level it.

Any thoughts guys,

Car is in '70 Members area, as Black Thunder, Triple Black

Thanks

Charlie

I kept my compressor, lines and valving, and just leave it looking as if it works...but it isn't hooked up to engine vacuum, and the old air shocks are long gone. I'm not a big fan of air shocks anyway.

I went with some spring helper air bags to get the rear back where it belongs. I plumbed them with seperate lines so I can adjust preload at the dragstrip, and they are better at resisting body roll on the street that way also.

They don't lift the rear really far though...mainly they will raise a bit beyond level, and work best at simply preventing the rear from going down as you add weight to the trunk.

It's an easy install: you don't even have to remove the springs.

LINKY

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie,

Like Wallaby, I have the pump under the hood with all the lines but the vacuum line is plugged so it's just for show. From what I've heard the systems very rarely worked from the factory so 40 years later...well it doesn't look good....lol.

Go with a new set of factory rear "cargo" springs and a nice set of gas shocks and you'll be good to go.....that's what I've got.

I've got the air bags in my springs as well but when there's air in them they ruin the ride of the car...I only put air in the right side if I'm going to go racing.

Oh...and welcome!!! Great group here!!!

My 2 cents,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie,

I to have a 70 SS454. I made an effort to get some NOS stuff for the system but decided to just make it look legit for reasons as Steve stated above. When my car is completed it will look intact but I will be running Bilsteins with Hotchkis coils.

BTW, I have my original load leveling switch for over the rear if you need one. Off 89K Washington State car.

Dan

I dont really think the rear in your car sits unusually low, if you look along the rocker panel, its pretty much level to the road. Although these cars could use a little boost in the rear in my opinion, I put all new springs front and rear in my car when I did the entire suspension, the rear always looked slightly low to me. I have spoken with a few people at local shows that have used Cargo coils off of an El Camino, it looked like it sat a little higher in the rear, There are no rubbing issues however, so I havent been all that worried about it

Hey Charlie, It is always worth the effort...Thats what it is all about,haveing a great time with these first Gen Monte's and especially if your car had it to begin with which it should have done being a SS454 Car and that would be a Factory Option rather than Dealer Installed...As mentioned your car looks awesome and is worth the effort...you could find the parts and install them and put a newer updated set of air shocks in the back and fill them off a valve and have the best of both set ups as the factory set may not work but the appearance is there as well as the higher ride height you were after with the newer shocks in back........just my 2 cents worth.....Darren.

I purchased 1970 Caprice Wagon rear springs and in the front, I purchased the standard Moog 70 Monte big block springs. I haven't installed them yet but there is another member on this site who basically did the same thing and I really liked the rake on his car. This probably won't be much help to you since I don't remember the members name to show you a picture of his car but, here are the part numbers anyway. Good Luck!

FRONT: Moog 6330

REAR: Moog Cargo Coil CC607