1,200 miles/ 1 1/2 quart later

LuckyKenny

I just went outside and checked my oil and it was on the first D in add on the dipstick.

It's not dripping, so it must be burning

I redid the heads in he end of march and i changed my oil on 8/28

I'm pretty hard on it but i don't max it out, or rev like a maniac in parking lots.

You guys know, average teenage muscle car owner abuse, minus power braking, reving, and power sliding .

The block has 125k miles on it and most of the gaskets are fairly new.

I know that it's normal to burn a little oil here and there but that much?

I put a quart in tonight and it was 3/4 filled. It seemed a little dark too. i don't know

any ideas?

When the heads were rebuilt, were the valve guides replaced and were there new seals put on the valve guides? That is what Jake is asking.

The other alternative are the rings on the pistons. If the short block (the block and pistons) hasn't been rebuilt, that could be part of your problem. You could do a compression test and see what that shows you. There shouldn't be any loss of compression from your rebuilt heads as the valves should seat very well. If you see problems from the compression test, that could mean the short block needs to be rebuilt too.

I think a DRY vs WET compression test would indicate a problem with the rings. To check this: Remove all 8 spark plugs, prop open the throttle slightly, (to insure the engine gets enough air) check and record the compression on all 8. Next, squirt into one cylinder, through the spark plug hole, some fresh engine oil, check and record the compression. repeat this process with the remaining 7. If there is a large difference in DRY vs WET, you could have a ring / piston / cylinder bore problem. Invest in a good compression tester that will screw into the plug hole, not a hand held rubber tipped style.

They redid the heads on the east coast at a shop completely, i helped put it back together at the shop.

I didn't touch the bottom end or the pistons, i didn't have any money left lol.

before i did the heads i did a compression test and all of them were at 150 before and after. I don't know do you guys thing that it could've worn sinse march?

The oil that was in there was nasty when i changed it, and last night it didn't look to good either.

It's running great though, and it's not smoking when i start it.

It's old and hasn't really been rebuilt well or taken care of, it doesn't suprise me that it's burning oil.

When i get home i'll take the valve covers off and see.

This is nothing compared to when i first got the car, i literally went through 2 1/2 quarts of oil in one day, it smoked like crazy. I'm pretty sure the guy that sold it to me put stop leak in it so i'd buy it. Almost all of the gaskets were nasty.

Anyone else burn oil?

It seems like a pretty common thing for an old 350 that's been stroked by a couple of morons in a garage, i'm just being realistic

They redid the heads on the east coast at a shop completely, i helped put it back together at the shop.

I didn't touch the bottom end or the pistons, i didn't have any money left lol.

before i did the heads i did a compression test and all of them were at 150 before and after. I don't know do you guys thing that it could've worn sinse march?

The oil that was in there was nasty when i changed it, and last night it didn't look to good either.

It's running great though, and it's not smoking when i start it.

It's old and hasn't really been rebuilt well or taken care of, it doesn't suprise me that it's burning oil.

When i get home i'll take the valve covers off and see.

This is nothing compared to when i first got the car, i literally went through 2 1/2 quarts of oil in one day, it smoked like crazy. I'm pretty sure the guy that sold it to me put stop leak in it so i'd buy it. Almost all of the gaskets were nasty.

Anyone else burn oil?

It seems like a pretty common thing for an old 350 that's been stroked by a couple of morons in a garage, i'm just being realistic

If i can put a quart in here and there i'm happy.

If this is going to get worse, how long am i looking at?

honestly, 1200 miles to a quart is technically 'acceptable' according to my gm service book for a 1980's era small block.. in fact, they say consumption has to be less then 500 miles to a qt to warrant repairs...

just keep the oil full and drive the snot out of it.

inspect the engine closely for signs of leaks, it may only leak while running.. i had issues like that. particularly from under the intake manifold at the back of the block.

when I had oil leaks around the intake, it would only leak at high rpm (I'm assuming when the crank case pressures would rise) and it would puke oil out of the back and down the bell housing of the trans and down the front of the block, and since I only rev'd the snot out of it for a few seconds at a time.. (up to 6k in first, then sometimes 5500 in 2nd) it wouldn't leak enough to drip on the ground.. at least not right away. but it would sure make a mess of the engine bay! but it would drip at the track as I was routinely taking it to 6k rpm wink

• 3 weeks later...

Burned 1 quart over 542 miles since October 1st

I'm pretty sure it's piston rings because i redid the heads in May.

I'm running valvoline 10w-30

I am kind of hard on it, almost daily

Would this have something to do with it?

How much longer do you guys think it will last like this?

HELP i'm getting scared!

500 miles to a quart is definately starting to get near the 'I'm a little worried about it' range..

you need to figure out where it's going.. pull the plugs and see if they're coked/carbon'd up.

also a quick check to see if it's the rings is to watch the exhaust smoke. a blueish tint would be a good hint it's the rings, also, check the end of the exhaust pipe. really good indication if there is oil there lol

could also be a cracked head... check your dipstick to see if it's grey.

idk then when i get home ill check the plugs

ill have my mom stand behind me to see ifits smoking, im almost positive its not

sounds like piston rings right? not valve seals

i honestly dont know to much when it comes to this stuff.

i checked the oil on level ground but it was still hot

keep it full and drive it until it dies...it just might surprise you on how long it will last wink

That's what I wanted to say but was waiting for someone else to say it first... laugh

You may not be "Green friendly" burning the oil though... shifter

i can tell you they don't last too long if you don't keep them full.....

it depends on when it smokes to say if it's rings or valve stems

if it smokes all the time.. or even when your mostly putting a load on the engine (light throttle accelleration) then I'd say the rings are suspect.

if it only blows a big cloud of oil smoke when it first fires up, it's most likely the valve stem seals.

you can run a leak down test to see if it's the valves or rings. (or neither)

you need a leak down tester tho.. (connects to a compressed air source and pressurizes the cylinder)

with the valves seated (near the top of the compression stroke.. do a leak down test

then squirt some 40w or 50w motor oil around the edges of the piston as best you can, and do the leak down again

if the numbers change significantly, it's the rings, if they don't it could be the valves.