LS1 conversion

Jared Richey

Ok so I have a 1970 Monte thats been setting looking pretty in the backyard for amost a year now. Around February or so, we put it on a new frame, with new bushings, yes BODY OFF THE FRAME in the BACKYARD grin 10 people carry a Monte body easily, inspired by the pic in Muscle Machines with Steve's 402 car.

But anyway now that its cooled off I've started messing with it, been thinking of some different engine options, I want good performance and fuel mileage, its gonna be a driver, maybe my daily driver.

I've been thinking about an LS1, if I can find a good deal on a running engine with all the accessories, computer and harness.

What I need to know is how much $$$ can I expect to spend on just getting the engine in the car, ex...gas tank with internal fuel pump, motor mounts, etc.

I know Chris (montecrusier) has done this in his car.

Jeff did it the right way. cool I went the easy way not knowing that with the Turn Key Engine set up that there would be no adjusting anything. In otherwords it cant be fine tuned. At Turn Key they eliminate a few sensors that are needed to deliver information to the computer. Basicly this set up is for a boat. I was told by one of our new members at the western meet, who is a high performance LS mechanic, that I need to get rid of the Turn Key harness and get a stock one out of a Corvette or Camaro. I believe this is how Jeff had his done. With all the sensors and stuff I think Jeffs car is up near if not over 30 mpg with tons of hp. Mine with the way they set it up gets 17 mpg and not nearly the hp Jeff has and the LS6 is supposed to be the high performance version of the LS1. I will someday get that swapped out but for now I guess I'll have to settle. Dont get me wrong it has plenty power and even more than I really need but it is not at its potential. I mostly want the better gas milage. It was explained to me that the more you tune it for hp the mpg gets better. Kinda strange, you would think the more you increse the horse power the more fuel it would need but its not like that with these motors. smile

Yeah, the way Steve (son of a member) described it at the Western Meet, it's actually not a hard swap. It is a simpler system than what most people think.

Jeff (Judge) hired someone to help him tune his and it runs well with great gas mileage.

Jared, how far do you want to go? Performance on the cheap? Full injection? Want all the bells and whistles? or just want the extra power of cathedral port heads and higher compression on pump gas.

I set a very nice low mileage 5.3 Burban engine in it with a very inexpensive set of conversion mounts and the intake. It killed the expense of the high pressure fuel system and the computer driven ignition system. You tune the timing curve through chips that look just like MSD rev limiter pills. You tune the carb by taking it apart.

Andy

I want good Gas Mileage and good performance, I'm not tyring to build another race car, I have one of those, BUT

30 MPG and good performance sure does sound awful good! grin If anyone can get me a list of what I will need to do the conversion that would be great. It'll be a slow project, but would be something I'd like to do.

But I am on a budget, but sounds like the best way is what Jeff did, thanks for the info so far.

A stock Monte, a race Monte, and now a daily driver Monte...must be nice... cool

Although no way do I believe anyone can get 30 mpg out of a wind plow Monte... whistle

Your right I don't get 30mpg. But on the high way at the speed limit I get good gas mileage What it is exactly i don't know and really wasn't worried about it. Although I'm sure its close to 20mpg if not more although now with the cam its a bit less I'm sure keep in mind when you put your foot into it and exceed the limit by way to much you will no longer care about gas mileage either. I went with a crate LS1 had the cam and the top end fully rollerized and I use a system called a VEMS ECU Its fully tunable and I'm quite happy however if you can get a factory harness I would recommend that. This kind of modern set up is great for economy and performance. As for a list of parts I would say you will need the motor the mounts the pully system, The ECU and harness and If you are going with the vette trans it will also require a harness and the shifter will have to be designed to work. I would stick with a 700r4 they need no electronics you will have to get the drive shaft shortened, electric fuel pump and baffled fuel tank (if you dont it will drive you nuts at half full and going around a corner) If you can find a engine and harness with computer out of a wreck and its a good deal then it would be a great thing to do. Oh yeah also you will need to set up a way to do your rad hoses as they need to be custom (look at Chris's or my car) I would be glad to send you some pics of things if you really want to do this swap.

Yes Jeff thanks.

My plan is to do as close to a BUDGET build as possible. I'm jobless right now, so it will be a slow project, my plan is just as you said I want to find and buy everything, the complete engine with all pulley's and accessories, with wiring harness and computer.

I will stick with a 700r4.

Pics would be good Jeff, Thanks. smile

Jared1970MonteCarlo@yahoo.com

No daily driver Monte yet Bill, I'm still broke from finishing the Red car. lol I just got to have a car to mess with, its all in the fun of it. I'm also helping my grandpa on his Monte he's been messing with on and off for 2 years now, these 2 cars we saved from the crusher, his I bought as a parts car, mine saved from one of the more arrogant car dealers that bought it for you know what parts.

Your right I don't get 30mpg. But on the high way at the speed limit I get good gas mileage What it is exactly i don't know and really wasn't worried about it. Although I'm sure its close to 20mpg

I'm sure it's better than 20 MPG. In my 70, I get 23 MPG on the highway using Canadian gallons (19 MPG using US Gallons). I remember the discussion we had in Penticton when you myself and Bill compared how much gas we used coming from Vancouver. If I recall, you used a little more than half a tank where I use well over than 3/4 of a tank. You must be getting 25+ MPG highway using US gallons.

Your right I do remember that conversation. I did it again coming back from Kelowna this year with a full tank and doing the speed limit (close anyway) when the tank is full I only use around a half a tank. Keep in mind at higher speeds the mileage goes way down as we are pushing shoe boxes through the air. As I've said Ive never thought to find out my mileage but If you are getting roughly 23mpg Then I must be getting close to 30mpgs on the highway. So I guess the moral of the story is do ask me my MPG's as its obvious I have no Idea When I had this car in my mind the last thing I was worried about was mileage its just an added benefit. lol As for any pictures that are needed for this conversion Just ask what pic's you want and Ill take a plethora of them and send them to any email you like and I'll send large photo files for good detail. Im sure between Chris and I any info on how it all fits in there should be a snap looking at our cars.

Hey Jared

I would say the only way to do this on a budget is to find it all in one shot as you stated. I had to get the pulley set up and all the accessories needed alternator/ power steering etc... I know to fit the lines to my power steering the had to make and braise some fitting to match old steering box to new pump again I can take photos for you just let me know If you find the deal for all the stuff. Good luck I hope it goes your way. Jjs

I went with the E-Rod LS3 with a 4l65E trans for my 70 Monte. It wasn't cheap, but being a novice at this, I needed something that already came as a package. Since I haven't seen anybody swapping an E-Rod into an MC yet, I'm following the build of a Chevelle with an E-Rod on another website. I hope to be done by february. With all the adapters and LS conversion kits for A-bodies available now there should be minimal fabrication. The one thing I thing I do have to have done is to have the drive shaft shortened. I also have get a cold air intake to accomodate the mass air flow. I'll probably end up using a 10 Camaro SS for that.

I went with the E-Rod LS3 with a 4l65E trans for my 70 Monte. It wasn't cheap, but being a novice at this, I needed something that already came as a package. Since I haven't seen anybody swapping an E-Rod into an MC yet, I'm following the build of a Chevelle with an E-Rod on another website. I hope to be done by february. With all the adapters and LS conversion kits for A-bodies available now there should be minimal fabrication. The one thing I thing I do have to have done is to have the drive shaft shortened. I also have get a cold air intake to accomodate the mass air flow. I'll probably end up using a 10 Camaro SS for that.

Pics Greg, we love Pics. grin

Ready to start buying parts.

I seen the gas tank on some website but can't go back to it

What I need to know now is...

Which conversion gas tank/fuel pump to get

Motor Mounts

Throttle linkage

AND anything else I will need to get the engine in the car and stuff to make it run, of course I have to actually buy the LS1, I have a 700r4 already.

Keep in mind I will be finding and buying a complete engine with all the accessories/harness & computer.

there is no throttle linkage to an LS engine.. it's Drive-by-Wire.

unless you are goin with a carb.

yeah they are, my friend has one of those pre 2002 Camaros and it has a linkage.

I believe Chris' has a throttle cable for the efi

Yes, mine has a throttle cable from Lokar. It mounts up alongside the trans kickdown cable. I had to cut into my fuel rail covers for that one. I routed the throttle cable accross the top and over to the drivers side where it goes through the firewall to the gas pedal.

CopyofMonteredcovers2001.jpg

If you are getting the LS1 out of a 97 Vette or newer than it is definately wireless...the Camaro LS1 came out in 98, but apparently from what I'm reading here they used a throttle cable.