Sumping A Fuel Tank

Andy's Auto

I chumped out Saturday morning by just adding a Holley Black pump to my oh so running out of gas 496 Monte. But after I found out no drag racing last night I decided to go a little further. I had an extra new 70 gas tank laying around (who doesn't), I hit Murrays Speed and Custom for my weekly donation. A presumped tank willk set you back around $500, and although I might come across like baller, I work like a dog for my money. I do not dictate authority from the office, I work for a living. A Chassis Engineering sump runs $65. The tank was $170 shipped to my door. Get where I am going with this?

Here is the new stock tank.

monteroll003.jpg

I marked the tank for the sump at the lowest part of the tank.

monteroll004.jpg

After cutting the wholw with a cutoff wheel, I used my trusty Lincoln 140 amp MIG welder to attach.

monteroll005.jpg

Add a little paint to stop any rust.

monteroll006.jpg

A little GM ac sealing tape for no squeaks and she is ready to go in.

monteroll008.jpg

And here is the final product.

monteroll009.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plan is simple. I am gonna be that guy with stuff hanging out the back of his car. I am putting in a Barry Grant BG280 pump, a CHM micro cannister filter, and -10 all the way up to new Aeromotive regulator. Hopefully the rain stays today so I can head to the shop and fab up the brackets for the pump and filter and run the new -10 Pushlok line up front to the new reg.

I just wanted to add that I took the stock sender and soldered the end shut so it doesn't leak but my gas gauge will still work.

Looks good Andy, I have been thinking of doing the same thing, I have a 1/2 inch and lines pickup but I have to keep more fuel in the tank than I want to. By the way I run a 7 psi six valve eddy mechanical pump and have not had a fuel issue yet.

I am gonna be that guy with stuff hanging out the back of his car.

Welcome to the sumped tank club... cool

I think it looks kinda cool with stuff hanging. You didn't mention a return line, are you gonna run one?

Originally Posted By: Andy's Auto
I am gonna be that guy with stuff hanging out the back of his car.

Welcome to to the sumped tank club... cool

I think it looks kinda cool with stuff hanging. You didn't mention a return line, are you gonna run one?

Nada, just plan on dead heading the pump at 8 psi. But I do like the idea. It would def keep the fuel cooler. I guess I could use the stock 3/8 line for the return with not much trouble. If I run at all next summer I will give it a shot.

Mike, still haven't mastered the mutilple quote thing. I found my biggest issue upon pulling the stock tank., I used a 5/16 sender as it was all I had that day. But wht take chances? Once I figure out the basics I have a full tank of N2O waiting for a 175 single stage to hit it with.

I've got a sumped tank waiting to go back into my monte too smile

I'm not sure if it's -8 or -10 fittings off hand..

but I figure one for the engine.. the other fitting for the n20 system...

If it was me, I would have notched out the top of that tank and hid my nitrous in the notch. Then used a hidden NOS Top Shot system.... cool

But I think looking stock is cock.

Regardless, looks good, and hope it solves your problem. Now all you need is a bunch of blue and red hose ends for the full racer effect.

You could not just remove a few springs from your rear set and remove the siphon tube from the bottle? That is how I spanked Pat Hill in his 67 GTO in 1989. Funny enough the guy I bought the ElCanimo from lat year. Twenty years after I lightened his wallet a few grand.

Andy

Originally Posted By: Mike 57
most likely 11.49 will get him kicked

Yep.

Nope, find the guy with one tooth. Ask him where his dad is. Find dad, usually in the tower. Give him twenty bucks. Proceed to run a Top Sportsman 8.50 car with no helmet.

It actually depends on what class you run, is it test and tune, or is it an event. Sportman cars are pretty much open season. This car ran 12.40s all day last year and the tech guys never opened the hood. I ran drag radials, I ran slicks, I ran street tires. Put over a hundred runs but never sprayed it at the track.

This year I have two days and seven passes. First trip last Weds on Drag Radials. Never popped the hood. Friday I put my slicks on, still never popped the hood for the tech inspector.

Push come to shove I will pull the interior and drop it off to Bill at Chassis Engineering for a certified cage. But it is a last resort. I am too big and too old to be climbing into a caged car. And I do not plan on competing for so much as a case of Castrol at the track.

and Allan, Wednesday, no excuses.

I can drop a 3.73 posi in your car in less than an hour. And you can borrow 'Bus tires.

Went to finish the car up during Matinsville (Tivo), and was short two fittings. I will plug in the vintage G Tech Pro and find a happy spot in town.

Thinking out loud, again,

Ondy

looks good Ondy, nice tape.....the tech thing is interesting....after a while at the differrent tracks I go to they just get to know the car. It's a trust thing, they ask me.."have you changed anything", I say no...they sign the card....but I know not to cross them....

I'm one of those guys who doesn't like all that gunk hanging down....I don't haul firewood with it so I don't need a trunk... grin

100_5492.jpg

crazy

looks good Ondy, nice tape.....the tech thing is interesting....after a while at the differrent tracks I go to they just get to know the car. It's a trust thing, they ask me.."have you changed anything", I say no...they sign the card....but I know not to cross them....

I'm one of those guys who doesn't like all that gunk hanging down....I don't haul firewood with it so I don't need a trunk... grin

100_5492.jpg

crazy

Davey, why is that tank so small? Seems like you would have to stop twice for fuel just to get groceries.

Andy

Quote:
Davey, why is that tank so small? Seems like you would have to stop twice for fuel just to get groceries.

Andy

You should see how many times he has to stop when getting firewood!

Dave, there's plenty of room in there for a Nitrous tank or two... grin

Bill you and Andy are going to get me in trouble yet... grin

Andy, it's 10 gallon, it's all I need, I don't drive it to Disney World....... crazy

There was a former member here.. had a 454 making 1,000hp on the bottle... in a pro-street setup.. last I knew he was in the low 9's with it.. carried a 3 gallon fuel cell, and got 3 miles to the gallon, burning $11 / gallon av-gas. (130 octane he said)

just where can you go with a range of 9 miles of fuel? LOL

There was a former member here.. had a 454 making 1,000hp on the bottle... in a pro-street setup.. last I knew he was in the low 9's with it.. carried a 3 gallon fuel cell, and got 3 miles to the gallon, burning $11 / gallon av-gas. (130 octane he said)

just where can you go with a range of 9 miles of fuel? LOL

Three runs then back to the trailer?

My brother had a "street/strip" car with a 5 gal. fuel cell. He had to take it on a trailer and unload it on the outskirts of town to go to a car show that was any distance from his house. I guess at that point it's a street driven race car?????

Andy.. i figured that was obvious.. the car was pro-street.. totally street legal.. well except for the 18" wide slicks and racing fuel.. lol

he actually did drive it on the street occasionally.

it was a very nice car.

HAH SWEEET! his car pic is still in the photo album..

DarylS101.jpg