best sbc cylinder head

bobsmc

im thinking of changing the heads on my 72.i recently installed a zz4 crate motor that i picked up in a car i parted out.

it runs great and only has about 4,000 mls on it.the heads that are on it are stock 350 heads off like a 72.cant remember the casting numbers off hand.they are nothing to write home about.i want to go with something that will bring up the compression to about 10 to 1.

the heads that come on the zz4 from gm are angle plug heads,not sure i like that.

i would like to go aluminum.

back in high school i built a 355 and used double hump 202 heads.those really brought the motor to life,but did not have the assy mounting holes drilled in the front of the head which created alot of problems.so those are out.

what do some of you recommend?

anyone have a good set for sale?

bob

double humps are now-a-days outdated junk.(I don't mean that to be disrespectful... They were the best in their day.)

If that ZZ4 doesn't already have Vortec heads, they are your best bet. $800 for a pair of iron heads that flow like mad.

but you will need a special intake and new valve covers.

I have finally learned what the deal is with vortec heads and intakes smile

"vortec" heads from 1986 to 1995 are not true "vortec" heads evne tho they carry the name. the only difference is the angle of the two center bolts which can be accounted for by slotting the old style manifold.

True vortec heads, 1996 and later are the GOOD vortec heads, as their intake ports are 0.25" taller, and only have 8 bolts, instead of 12. so unless your old school intake has a lot of meat around the top of the intake ports, it's not likely it will seal against a true vortec head.

all 86 and later use the 4 'center bolt' design valve covers.

The best 2 heads for the money that don't need additional porting and are good for big HP are AFR and Profiler.

Back when you were in high school, double hump heads may have been pretty decent. Now, they don't hold a candle to anything in a Summit catalog. I personally would not waste any money on "Vortec" heads either. I have never actually seen a car with them on that made any real power. Plus no reason to use iron heads.

Alot of guys run Dart or Brodix, but they do a bunch of port work to them. The Trick Flow's I took off my car got me to 12.0's out of the box. (I still have them in the garage)

What horsepower do you want to get out of them and what is your budget, those are the 2 most important things and you didn't mention either.

im looking for 350 hp

a mild street machine is all i need,if i want more i can take the 71 zz454 out smile

my budget is limited,i might go just over a grand.i would like to find some good used alum. heads.im not in a rush.

i just wanted some opinions of what people have used.

bob

I think most of the american heads available now are pretty decent. Edelbrock, Trick Flow, AFR, Profiler, Brodix etc. I have been reading that some Brodix heads are having machining problems getting the valve guides centered exactly right in comparison to the valve seat thus causing the guides to wear out quick. I personally believe AFR and Profiler are the two best out there too, with Trick Flow coming close. AFRs will run you around $1500. Profilers can be had for $500 a piece, but I think you are limited to 210cc intake runners which are large by huge for a 350 in my opinion. Maybe some Trick Flows like THESE ?

I'm not a small block guy so I don't know if you can use straight or angled plugs or both but for some reason I think I remember angled plugs causing issues with exhaust for Montes. You should definitely check into that before you purchase.

Bob, I would have recommended Canfield from just down the interstate from you but alas they are out of business now. - Dave

The Jegs brand heads were Canfields, you may be able to get some of them from their stock yet.

Bob I would get withy Wolfie on his old heads. He was well over 400 with them and will run a milder combo, but why would you. I bet he want a bit over a grand for them. Take the hint.

Bang for your buck sounds great when the heads were taken off for an upgrade. Not a blown engine.

Andy

any opinions on pro comp heads?

there is a set of them for sale cheap and local.

500 for the pair,but are they any good???

also edelbrock preformer rpm heads any good?

bob

The Pro Comp heads are very problematic, BUT if you buy them bare and use your own quality parts, and have a good valve job done on them they can supposedly make a good head.

The Edelbrocks generally have a pretty good reputation. They are not the most recent designs, and don't flow the BEST, but they flow very well and honestly you probably would not be able to feel the difference between them and a head you paid half again as much for.

I would definitely consider Edelbrocks.

Interesting thing I just heard about Trick Flow from the distributor who I just ordered my heads from. Summit now owns them! I would expect you might be able to find some good deals on them from Summit if that's the case. Also, we just missed a 15% discount on everything from Summit, that could save you $150 smackers on a pair of heads.

I have a set of cast iron Vortec heads casting #12558062 and an Edelbrock Performer dual plane aluminum intake if you are interested. The heads where bought new through GM and only have about 800 miles om them. I bought them for my engine but ended up going with the Dart heads. I'd make you a heck of a good deal if you want them. Call me if you are interested.