Carb Spray

LuckyKenny

I tend to use carb spray alot i just noticed.

Now other than getting little bits of debris off in the carb am i hurting anything?

It runs so much better after i spray it, i'm assuming the boost in octane?

Maybe i should just dump some octane booster in the gas? I'm already running 93 all the time.

Also, i'm still have a fouled cylinder. I was wondering if there was any way to clean the gunk out of the cylinder, perhaps sea foam or engine shampoo?

Thanks!

Sea Foam works great but it is a temporary fix. Hopefully it is just a valve seal that needs replacing. That is the easiest and cheapest to fix. You need to troubleshoot to find out what is causing that one cylinder to foul the plug.

I would say the reason you keep fouling the plugs is because of the carb spray..

You really need to firgure out why the carb is getting all gunked up that it requires you to spray that stuff in there.

How often does the cylinder get fouled and is it the only one?

You more city or highway driver?

Have you had the carb adjusted to make sure she is not running to lean, or rich. If you cannot adjust the carb with the mixture screws, it is time for a good cleaning/rebuild.

Kevin

As far as the octane boost, Im running 87 in my car all the time, not a knock,ping,no problems dieseling when you shut it off,It runs perfect the way it is. I dont have anything other than a stock 350 with a 4 bbl intake and carb and some headers. I dont think you would need 93 or higher for your car.

And as for that fouled plug, just keep running it till you get the money to do something about it,all them additives wont help you out there IMO

This may be unbelievable to all of us but I worked on a low mileage Lincoln back in the 70's that had a bent crankshaft caused by the owner spraying the entire can of carb cleaner into his 460 4BBL. After emptying the can into the carb, with the engine OFF, he attempted to start the engine, but since fluid doesn't compress, like air, it hydraulicked the engine.

Bruce

Kenny, I know you have a 383 stroker in your '72 but do you know what else was done to the engine? Do you know the compression ratio and the cam timing/lift? What about your intake manifold and carb? I would assume they are not stock but you never know. I think you said earlier that you have stock exhaust manifolds but maybe the prior owner just ran out of funds before he got around to getting headers.

Does you engine continually burn oil (i.e. exhaust always smokes some) and does it smoke a lot when you romp on it?

Maybe you've already answered all of these questions in a prior thread, but if not, it would sure help other members diagnose your plug fouling problems if we knew more about your engine.

If you dont have the time or money to go thru the motor try these,I know they work and you can find them at any parts store that has a help board..

1.jpg

He is a forum with some info:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/215795-5-o2-cheater-non-fouler-how.html

Kenny, I know you have a 383 stroker in your '72 but do you know what else was done to the engine? Do you know the compression ratio and the cam timing/lift? What about your intake manifold and carb? I would assume they are not stock but you never know. I think you said earlier that you have stock exhaust manifolds but maybe the prior owner just ran out of funds before he got around to getting headers.

Does you engine continually burn oil (i.e. exhaust always smokes some) and does it smoke a lot when you romp on it?

Maybe you've already answered all of these questions in a prior thread, but if not, it would sure help other members diagnose your plug fouling problems if we knew more about your engine.

Well it's a 350 bored out with a 400 crank, it has an eldebrock intake (not sure what model number) and a 750 quadrajet.

It never smokes, i think it's a slow slow burn.

The no foul plug seems kind of sketchy

Originally Posted By: LuckyKenny
I'm just going to run this drive train into the ground then start fresh

no?

Keep up the burnouts and you should be there in no time lolshifter

It was one parking lot shenanigan! yay