Headers and Exhaust

JOHNA01374

Guys I had a chance to spend a full day working on the Monte Saturday. Really should have been working on the Cutlass but you know how it goes. My good friend Tom is an older guy. He's been a hot rodder since he was born some 67+ yrs ago and I'm really thankful to have him around. I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to Carburators and points I'm lost. Give me an EFI system and a Laptop and we're in business.

After a couple of quick trips around the block he said he had a few ideas and felt a few things where not and good as they could be. Once back to the house he put a dwell meter on the car and found it to be way off. After adjusting the distributor the car idled much smoother. Next was a vacuum gauge and a couple of quick changes to the fuel mixture. Changed a few vacuum lines and put some timing in the motor and she really came alive. The car was already torquey but now it's really snappy and will burn that right rear tire right off the car smile so thanks again Tom. I'd be lost without ya.

Now for the bad. After messing around under the hood we put the car in the air and I'm excited to say that she's clean and rust free. What I'm not happy about is the Mickey Mouse Exhaust that has been booger-ed together under there. The stock Iron manifolds have a 2.5 outlet and someone put a 2 inch non-mandrel (squash bend) system on the car and it looks like it was done by someone that was blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other. Also doesn't look like they knew which end of the welder to point at the pipes.

Anyway. I'm looking for a decent set of headers and a 2-1/2 exhaust. Not looking to spent a fortune. Would like to spend under $500 total on something that fits and works well. More interested in torque than overall HP as the rest of the motor is stock.

My car has a Stock 402 so I'm not looking to go too big. What have you guys had good luck with?

i just put on American thunder exhaust out of summit. What a great set up. You just have to have the intermidiate pipes cut once the system is fitted. Throw on some hooker headers and you have a new exhaust for 500.00 all from summit.

The competition ones do fit, but you will have to relocate the proportioning valve from the side to the top of the frame. You will have to pull the steering shaft to get them in on the drivers side. The passenger side goes right in from the bottom.

We put a set of Dougs headers on Jack Coopers 72. We had to trim the passenger side rear lower control arm mount, other than that, the fit was good. They are also a smaller tub that may be better for your combo.

I have the coated ones of those on my 402 they fit nice. Had to have a muffler shop make up a couple pieces to tie it into my Magnaflow system. If I was going to do it again I think I would have gone long tube headers and the americian thunder flowmaster system.....

I have a big block in my 70 and I put in a set of Hedman's with 1 3/4 tubes (I think part #68190). I didn't need to move or unbolt anything to install. But I did find that I had exhaust leaks at the head. I will be installing a set of Percy's gaskets to take care of that--oh and checking the flatness of the flanges a little closer this time lol. David

Added a set of Doug Thorley ceramic coated long tube headers #313-C. They bolted right up with no problems. No exhaust leaks & no tweaking needed for my 72 402 CI. Had a local muffler shop build a new exhaust system for them. More than $500.00 total for all though!

I concure about the 2" Hooker Competion series BB headers. Besides relocating the brake proportioner you may need to dimple one of the primary tubes on the drivers side to clear the steering shaft(some do and some don't). For that reason I'd buy the painted black ones, do all your fit up, and them have them coated. Even for a mild engine 2" primary tubes are not going to rob you of much torque(it's a big block and that equals lot's of torque) and gives you room to grow down the road should you decide to modify your engine. Personally I would use the same approach when choosing an exhaust system. A 2.5" system is ok for now, but down the road they might be holding you back. That is why I went with a 3" system from the get go. If you need a recommendation as to a manufacture pm me and I'll be glad to share. Good luck and remember do it right the first time. Taking short cuts and doing things on the cheap will always go bad in the end.

John there is no point for using a 2" header unless you can get a set very cheap. The 1 3/4" give you more room and fit better as well as perform better on a street motor. You will need at least 550 hp before a 3" exhaust system would be of any benifit...JMO..Dave

John there is no point for using a 2" header unless you can get a set very cheap. The 1 3/4" give you more room and fit better as well as perform better on a street motor. You will need at least 550 hp before a 3" exhaust system would be of any benifit...JMO..Dave

I hear ya Dave. Bigger certainly isn't better when it comes to exhaust on an NA car and 2 inch primarys on a 8.5/1 402 is simply too big for a street car. In all honesty this car will stay a street cruiser and if I ever make 350HP i'd be surprised. I would like to make about 400-450 FT/LB or torque though.

I have a twin turbo cutlass that will make around 750HP once complete so there's really no reason to mess with this one.