radiators

dimitri

as long as i watch the temp gauge to prevent overheating i should be fine or to make sure should i buy an electric fan to cool it down

Sure a dual core/row radiator will work for a 454, just get a thick one. A dual row 2" won't cool as good as a 3". I have a Be Cool dual row 3" thick one on my 502 with the fan set-up Mike/Chief MK linked to. I would think your stock fan and shroud would be fine with a "good" 2 core radiator.

im going to try to use the radiator that came with the car and if it over heats i will buy a electric fan or just buy a 4 core one of the two . thanks all for the responces

For the record I used my stock factory radiator, fan, and shroud that came with my Monte which was a 402 with my 502 for a couple years, never had an issue...it wasn't till later that I wanted full control of my cooling for racing that I went to the extreme set-up that I have now.

A friend of mine has a 69 Camaro with a 12/1 CR 468. He's running a 2 core alum rad off Ebay and a Ford Mark 8 two speed fan. The only time the fan kicks on high is sitting in traffic for an extended period of time otherwise it runs on low speed and keep the motor nice and cool. It has a temp sensor that turns the fan on low speed at 180F and high speed at 210F but we also have an override switch so we can turn it on anytime.

The car has a 160F stat and playing around with fan once we where able to bring the motor all the way down to 160 sitting in traffic on a HOT summer day. If you're on a budget the Mark 8 fan is the way to go. You can find them for around $50 at local wrecking yards and the relays and wiring to make them work will be another $20-$30.

you could also go with Champion radiators....I got a 2 row aluminum one and the fit is perfect and the price was perfect..the only down side so far is the visual quality of the welds.....works great tho! LINK!!!! I like it

I am running my 2core that was in my Monte when I had my Small Block in it. With the 454 I have now, the 2core works good for me. I use the stoke belt driven fan and that huge wind tunnen along with a 160 degree stat.