What do you think

I have a 8.2 10 bolt BOP rear end in my monte and looking threw my parts bins last night i have the spool set up form my dads old 69 grand prix with a GM 8.2(Don't ask me why it was gm dont know)rear you guys think it would be ok for some street strip use in my monte and are the GM 8.2 parts interchangeable with the BOP 8.2

This is what i have

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RMG-78-8228-1/

Well the BOP is GM. Not sure if they are totally compatible with a Chevy rear but I would think they are. I have an Olds Rear in mine. The pumpkin was a bit different than my old one witch required me to shorten my drive shaft, I think it is a a HD version. It came out of an Olds Cutlass 442 and has 3:73 Posi.

As for the spool, it is my understanding that you want to stay away from those on street driven cars since there is not slip between axles when going around turns which leads to broken axles. On the other hand I have heard of people using them on the street BUT they also ran Heavy Duty after market axles.

Steve

I wouldn't use a spool on a street car. Those things can be awfully scary in the rain.

Nygel

ditto

Also doing tight turning when it's dry out will draw alot of attention as the inner tire starts "screeching" from turning the same speed as the outer tire.

I wouldn't use a spool on a street car. Those things can be awfully scary in the rain.

Nygel

Thats one thing i would never do Drive my Monte in the rain

but looks like there might be more down sides to it

Not a good setup for a street ride. I swore I wouldn't have my car in the rain also. Well the first time I had it out was the Eastern Meet in Greensburg, Pa. Rained all weekend and my wipers didn't work! lol

If you are going to go to any multi day meets your chances are good you are going to find some rain. I would not like to have a spool. I run a locker and have to watch corners when it is wet. And I never plan on going out in the rain, but mother nature always likes to toss a monkey wrench into the plans.

Number one reason not to run a spool on the street besides safety? Every time you take a corner it is like doing a small burnout. Tire wear. I ran an 87 Monte SS back in the 90s with a spool on the street and my BFG drag radials lasted less than 1000 miles. The advantage of a posi is letting the inside tire turn at a different speed than the outside,