454 How much hp?

ScottNM

How much hp/tq do you think this unit will have. I have a very good deal to purchase it. thx

So This motor was recently removed from a 2nd generation camaro. This motor runs excellent and has just over 1900 miles on it since it was totally built. It is barely broke in. It is a 289 casting 454 that was bored .030 with a deck plate, hypereutectic pistons, polished crank, ARP rod bolts, new head bolt kit, and a new stock oil pan. The cam is a Competition Cams extreme series hyd cam. comp push rods, valve springs, lifters, and Moroso chrome valve covers. It has an edelbrock air gap dual plane intake manifold and a holley fuel pump. All of the brackets, pulleys, and PS pump are included in the auction. This motor just needs your carb and it is ready to bolt in. It has a grumpy idle and sounds very nice. The heads are the open chambered 781 castings with all new valves, springs, and 1.7 roller rockers. This is a very nice street motor, pro street motor. I can shink wrap the moto and put this on a pallet and have it ready to ship. The buyer is responsible for all shipping costs.

Parts List for Engine:

TRW -8KH426CP30

COMPETIOTION CAM -CCP-CL11-242-3 CAM SPECS GRIND NO. CBXE268H10 1600-5800 RPM

COMPETIOTION CAMS TIMING SET-CCA-2110

COMPETITION CAMS PUSH ROD SET-CCA-7854-16

ARP BBC 3/8 WAVE-LOC HI ARP-135-6402

MELING HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP SES-3-90-08-003

OIL PAN SUMMIT SUM-G3510X

FEL PRO GASKET SET FEL-KS2618

ARP HEAD BOLT KIT ARP-135-3601

ARP INTAKE BOLT KIT BBC 12 PT ARP-135-2101

EDELBROCK AIR GAP INTAKE MANIFOLD

It looks like a very reliable build but leaves quite a bit on the table. But 335-360 at the rear wheels sounds about right. It wil make a Monte with the right convertor and gears into a solid low 13-high 12second car. Definately a torque type build.

I just saw the ebay ad - the pix are hard to see, but with only 1900 miles, I would think the paint would look fresher than it does. Looks more like a 19000++ mile motor with the faded paint and grime. Did he send you better side-view pix? I agree with the others about the hp. Good torque to pull around a Monte.

Forgive me for my inexperience but what makes one 454 engine have 425hp and 500#tq and another 454 engine has 450hp and 480# tq?

This usually has to do with cam selection. Generally, as the cam size gets bigger, the hp increases - but at a higher rpm. Low end torque usually drops off because of the mathematical function of hp and tq. The one constant is that hp will always equal tq at 5250 rpms on any motor - that's where the lines of the graph always intersect.

Once you start getting into bigger cams, you will have to start looking into higher stall converters and steeper gears to compensate for the loss of low end torque.

One more question for now. I am trying to find a 454/450hp crate engine. I want to do it right the first time. I am going to post two units with specs. Any feedback on which one looks better would be appreciated.

1.The balanced rotating assembly includes:

4.00" stroke nodular iron crank

6.135" forged rods with ARP rod bolts

9 to 1 compression pistons

More special features of this engine include:

Seasoned 2-bolt main block

Deck head gasket surface on block to ensure a good seal

New Hydraulic flat tappet cam with .527"Int/.553"Exh valve lift

New Valves 2.070"Int/1.720"Exh

New 1.440" high performance springs with dampeners setup to match cam

New Rocker studs

New Hardened guide plates

New 1.7 roller tip rocker arms - these allow us to use stock height valve covers so your stock brackets fit without any modifications

New Hardened push rods

New Perfect Circle rings

New Double row timing set

New High volume oil pump with steel drive shaft and steel guide with oil pickup tube welded to pump

New Revolutionary 1-pc design molded rubber oil pan gasket with load limiters to prevent over-tightening and higher temperature resistance than standard cork-rubber gaskets

New Brass expansion plugs

New Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold

All parts are painted separately before assembly for that show quality look

This engine comes completely assembled with oil pan, timing cover, harmonic balancer, valve covers, and Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold.

2. MARK IV BLOCK 2 PEICE REAR SEAL SELECT CORE

Hot Tank VATTED

BORED WITH NEW STYLE COMPUTER EQUIPMENT

454 STEEL CRANK NEW EAGLE STD STD

NEW INTERNAL PARTS LIST

NEW 454 CRANK EAGLE STEEL FOR INCREASED TORQUE AND POWER

NEW FORGED RINGS MOLY AND PISTON SETS NO JUNK ..

NEW CAM BREARINGS AND ROD BEARINGS STD SIZE

FORGED RODS GM

NEW CUSTOM MADE CAMS HYDRUALIC NO MAINTENANCE

NEW ROLLER CHAIN

NEW COMP CAMS PUSHRODS

NEW OIL PUMP AND SCREEN TRW

NEW TIMING COVER

NEW FELPRO GASKET SET

NEW FULL ROLLER ROCKERS

NEW STAINLESS VALVES

NEW EDELBROCK RPM INTAKE

NEW HEADBOLTS AND HARDWARE

NEW 7 QT OIL PAN

NEW TIMING COVER

NEW BALANCER

PORTED GM OVERSIZE VALVE HEADS HI FLO VALVES 2.19/1.90 STAINLESS AND SEALS AND SPRINGS MATCHED TO CAM GREATLY INCREASES POWER AND TORQUE OVER STOCK GM HEADS

NEW ROCKERS 1.7 RATIO AND CAM SPECS OF 590 LIFT INTAKE 990 EXHUAST 110 CENTERLINE RPM RANGE 1600 RPM TO 5500 EACTLY NEEDED ON THE STREET

NEW DUAL PLANE POLISHED RPM INTAKE 1800 THRU 5600 NOT SHOWN

ENGINE COMES FULLY ASSEMBLED VALVES ADJUSTED AND OIL SYSTEM CHECKED.

After alot of research, I am going with "vortecpro". Mark has a stellar reputation nationwide. Here is my unit.

467 517 HP 564 TQ

9.1 compression

Excellent muscle car engine replacement, excellent vacuum, very street friendly

Dyno tested $4995.00

Good choice on going with Mark. When he first started there were a lot of skeptics. But he has excellent customer service and his engines do what he claims. So he now has an excellent reputation. There will only be two problems with your choice: the long waiting list and having to change rear tires frequently.......

After alot of research, I am going with "vortecpro". Mark has a stellar reputation nationwide. Here is my unit.

467 517 HP 564 TQ

9.1 compression

Excellent muscle car engine replacement, excellent vacuum, very street friendly

Dyno tested $4995.00

Any more detailed specs on that engine?

If you decide not to wait for your engine, you should consider the 454 GM crate engines. Ian posted the ZZ454, there is also the 454 HO, which I have in my Monte.

They might look expensive at first, but consider that they have a NEW 4-bolt block and all forged internals & roller camshaft!

I talked to Mark today. He is working 7 days/wk to keep up with demand. He personally does the work. He said 4-6 weeks. I just know he uses stuff like scat cranks, forged pistons etc.

I know Mark a bit and he builds some good stuff. He's pretty good at matching things up on combo's. He's really well known for the re-work he does on GM iron heads....