What is wrong with my engine?

Kevin Wiles

ok i thought maybe air was getting somewhere it wasnt supposed to or something.... i was gonna pick up this type of gasket to see if it helped me ....

but if you say thats no problem..... i need to continue troubleshooting..

this is the kind i was thinking i needed to get:

Gasket--19-lg.jpg

That gasket should work, but I've always used the four hole style. It you sprayed around the base of the carb while it was running and it didn't suck it in, then the gasket was ok. If you've got the four hole gasket already, give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

i have been trying 4 days to figure this out. I just can't do it! can't figure this one out fellas..... i'm very stumped, and i'm very confused.

I did find this online though....

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintag...pen-square.html

and then i read somewhere else where the 4 hole gaskets will just slightly improve low end torque and possibly improve mpg's. I have found nothing online that says this gap and open area created between the carb and intake will create a stumble.

I guess now I pull the intake and look at the intake manifold gaskets. Because, in review, I'm definetely getting a vaccuum leak, and spraying to locate it has not turned up anything....

i could but most of them have that side loading fuel line, notice this one has a front loader. See pic. My other monte has a quadrajet but its the common side loader. I would love to find someone with a known good front loader. (also see my edited response above)

i have been trying 4 days to figure this out. I just can't do it! can't figure this one out fellas..... i'm very stumped, and i'm very confused.

and then i read somewhere else where the 4 hole gaskets will just slightly improve low end torque and possibly improve mpg's. I have found nothing online that says this gap and open area created between the carb and intake will create a stumble.

I guess now I pull the intake and look at the intake manifold gaskets. Because, in review, I'm definetely getting a vaccuum leak, and spraying to locate it has not turned up anything....

Is it a stumble or is it backfiring? It's a big difference. With a stumble I'd say it was the Q-jet, if it's a backfire I'm still going with timing/ignition issue.

If it sat for awhile since the last time you started it, there's a chance that the carb gummed up. That would cause a stumble, it may run rich or lean, all kinds of things.

Have you tried.. Carb # & model.. perhaps the carb & manifold are mismatched. Is that even 4MV and although a qjet, it may not fit the Chevy manifold.. correctly? Carb # essential?

it sits and does little pops and muffled quiet misfires during idle, but backfires and spits and pops while driving especially when letting off the gas. overall just doesnt seem like its running like it should be.

Out of curiosity, what was the last thing you did before this problem started?? I/e did you go for a drive and park for a while, or did it just start one day when you got in it? What if any maintenance did you possibly do?

How does a rag over the carb equate to a vacum leak? I have never heard that one before.. To me it sounds like it is sucking to much air, and the rag blocks some flow

Does it run better or worse with full choke and cold?

when you depress the pedal, does it seem like it is lagging behind, and seems like it wants to get to higher RPM's but just can't seem to get there?

It has been doing this for over 2 years and I'm just now getting around to fixing it. It seems like it ran pretty good while I was in charlotte for the 10th annual fgmcc meet, but started acting up on my 2 hour drive home.

And it does run BETTER while cold and with full choke. Putting the rag over the carb is just like partially choking it. And it runs better at idle with the rag.

While driving seems to run just "ok" when you have the gas pedal depressed, accelerating, but as soon as you lift or go a steady speed, its pop sputter and spit.

ok here's what i'm doing today. I'm taking the side inlet carb off my other monte. i'm going to rig up a rubber hose that will curve around to the front inlet fuel line thats on the coke machine. if the engine runs fine on that carb, i'll be rebuilding or buying a new carb. this will help narrow it down.

i can hardly wait either. i'm dying here to know. and what makes it worse is the small amount of time per day that I actually get to work on it, and the large amount of time I have per day that I have to think about it.

putting the other carb on makes it run PERFECT. Now i have finally found the answer to "what is wrong with my engine". The carb. Now I have a decision to make. Buy the book everyone praises so much and learn how to rebuild this one... or simply buy a reman.....

Originally Posted By: Kevin Wiles

Is it a stumble or is it backfiring? It's a big difference. With a stumble I'd say it was the Q-jet, if it's a backfire I'm still going with timing/ignition issue.

If it sat for awhile since the last time you started it, there's a chance that the carb gummed up. That would cause a stumble, it may run rich or lean, all kinds of things.

What has 2 thumbs and called out the carb? This guy! haha Glad you've got it figured out. As far as what to do next, I've done both, rebuilt them and used a reman. Rebuild kits are a lot cheaper than buying a new carb. I'd probably go that route.

The rebuild isn't hard.

Is it possible that the old carb just needs some adjusting? Sometimes the idle adjustment screws get mis-adjusted...like one way out abd the other way in, and although it seems to balance out in the end, it causes poor running. If external adjustments can't fix the problem, then it's a candidate for rebuild.

I vote for the rebuild before buying a reman.

Good to hear you found it!

A few years ago, the fuel inlet threads were stripped on my old QJet, so I bought a reman QJet from Summit Racing for my 72 Monte. It was a great product, just bolt on and go...

Glad to hear that you found the problem..

Where did you get the carb that is on it now??

I was having problems with a Q-Jet that I was rebuilding to only find out that it was two different 4 barrels made into one, and it caused the carb not to work right.

the carb thats on it now, came with the engine i bought used. it used to run right, so i'm assuming it will run right again with some work. i bought the "how to rebuild and modify rochester quadrajet carbs" book by Ruggles. It should come in soon, I'll start by reading that.