hot hot hot

monte70car

Well here is what I ended up doing I went ahead and pulled the clutch fan off and bolted the nose cover on the water pump pulley. I filled the radiator up added 4 cap-fulls of the water wetter in as well. I did fire it up but had to kill it do to a water leak at the water neck housing so I double checked the bolts and tighten then a little more, restarted it notice a wobble in the crank pulley so I had to kill it yet again. Did a little tweaking to the pulley and bolted it back up wobble went away. Re-fired the car up with the heater on (89° outside and the heater on just don't sound right) got it to blow some nice hot air out of the floor vent and the defroster ducts temp never got hotter then 210° sitting in the garage idling in park at 1k rpm's, I kicked the elec. fans on at the 210° mark and the temp dropped down to 200°. I think once I get the bugs worked out with clutch fan setup and the water neck issue I should be good. I did not see any fluid kicking out the over flow like before so it does look like the 5" crank pulley was the cause of the problem. Tomorrow the passenger sit will go back in and the car will be ready for a trip to the gas pump. I think I notice is there is no popping going out of the exhaust when the rpm's go up.

I'm reading this late, but have a couple of questions. Do you run an overflow bottle or just the factory overflow hose to the ground? If you just have the hose, the radiator full mark when cold is about 6" below the filler neck. Stock radiators have a mark. If you fill it to just below the neck, the fluid has no where to expand when it gets warm so it pukes on the ground. Cars with an overflow bottle get filled to the top cause the bottle catches the overflow. I don't think I read if you have a bottle or not.

It's just the overflow hose no bottle. Right now my issue is a leaking chrome water neck which didn't leak until the stat got changed so most likely it's got a bad spot some where on the bottom side. Still trying to get the clutch fan put in its place without any issue.

Them Chrome water necks are a problem, I ditched mine early for a leak
ditto I hate them cheap "O" ring style.. they look good but aside from that they're notorious for leaking. They leak more when the motor is fairly cold, and once it warms-up, the leak slows down. I've gone back to the old cast iron ones.. they don't look quite as good. Has anybody used the 2piece chrome one?

This chrome water neck been on the motor since 95 so it doesn't have an o-ring. I do know where a cast one is sitting at as the truck wont be going anywhere. Last night I only noticed it was leaking after it ran and the stat was opened. Tomorrow I'll have to give summit a call as the fan I got will not fit the tunnel so it's got to go back frown.

Well just got done chatting with Reese at summit the 19.25" fan will be going back and I'm exchanging it for an 18.25". It looks like I goof and order the wrong fan or they database ain't right. They list a 454 needing a 19" fan and a small block taken an 18" fan where the restor package shows 18" for a 454 and 17.6" for a small block.

• 2 weeks later...