Rear end noise

Greasy D

I've got a noise coming from the rear of the car that sounds like rolling an empty metal drum across a cement floor, just not as loud. It only does it while moving after about a mile or so of driving. I'm assuming it is due to a slow pinion seal leak and no fluid in the rear. I intend to replace what is left of the fluid in the morning. Pinion will have to wait until I can get the car to my house (been sitting at my parents place for 10 years). Before I crack it open is there anything else i should be looking for that might be causing this noise?

Thanks!

Th noise could also just be the rear brakes dragging on the brake drums...hence the "metal drum" sound... wink

ditto Or it could be the drum has rusted enough to be rubbing on the backing plate.

The brakes were rubbing on the drum the last time I drove it to the point were they actually started smoking. When I had replaced everything inside the drums I over tightened the star wheel. I haven't driven it again since loosening them up. Hadn't thought the sound correlated with the brakes as it made the same sound before rebuilding them.

I'll take a look at the rust factor.

Thanks again.

Brakes look and work tip top. Changed the oil in the rear and it still looks brand new in there. Same sound came back after about 5 minutes of driving. I'm thinking just a U joint is making all that racket.

The good news is that I found out I have a 12 bolt! laugh Surprising considering it's only a 350 car.

Hmmm...does it have a sway bar or boxed lower control arms?

No just the base set up. Wondering about the drive shaft being installed 180 off. I have some speed dependent vibrations. I'll post up when I get it figured out.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks but I'm just getting around to working on the car again. Replaced the diff fluid and the U joints and it is still making the sounds. I was able to take it for a long ride today to get a better idea of what I'm hearing. It is kind of a rolling groan and a squeak. I don't hear it for the first mile or so, then it does it under load and right after I get off the gas. Bumps accentuate it but it does not do it while coasting down hill bumps or not. it get worse the longer I drive. Funny though more than once today it was doing it while stopped at a light. Possible gas tank vent issue? It still has the charcoal can hooked up. I'm kind of lost but the sound has definitely gotten worse since i have put a few miles on it. Going to buy a new gas cap now.

Hey Dennis, Just a guess here.... The Gas Tank itself has 2 Metal straps that run from front to back holding the tank up...

Check to see if the bolts are tight and the fact that the straps are suppose to have rubber channels that wrap around them to stop vibrations and the top of the tank has about 4 compressed Carboard blocks to stop an annoying howl that can arise if they rot away so check those areas that maybe it and it simulates your sound even sitting still and idleing the tank still vibrates....

Darren.

Two things came to mind, the insides (baffles) of the mufflers are rotted out and rattling around or the exhaust system is touching the frame or under body at some point. Can you duplicate doing a brake torque? Possible broken motor mount allowing the engine to move under load. Good luck!

Bruce