small block 355

monte70car

Guys and girls what would cause a motor to turn over so slow? Motor is a 355 with roughly 1350 miles on it set up for TPI tried two different batteries still would turn over slow, pulled the plugs and tried again still slow almost like a grinding sound when it turns over. All push rods will spin easy.

Measure the amp draw with ammeter in either the positive, or ground cable, of the starter motor while cranking the engine over. If the amp draw is excessive, according to the manufactures specifications, then the starter motor is faulty. Slow cranking or high current draw can also indicate that the bushing may be worn and cause an off-center armature. Worn bushings and or an off-center armature causes poling and throw off the alignment of the magnetic fields. Worn brushes..oil bathed, and by all means the solenoid current transfer internal bolt head. Located inside the solenoid.. A good working solenoid is a must. The AMP Draw is the most important I suppose!! Your small block "355" no doubt a higher compression motor? What starter are you using? Any difference if you pull the plugs,, how easy does it turn over?

I would measure voltage at the battery while cranking. Then measure the voltage at the starter while cranking and see if there is a voltage drop.

I would then take a voltage measurement between the negative terminal and the block while cranking to insure that the cables are in good shape.