Convert stock shifter into a ratchet shifter

Dans '70 Z20

Hey guys,

New these existed for a while but they just added a video to their site that shows you exactly how to install new detent and how it works. They go for $75

Video is 6:37 long but it shows how shifter functions at 6:00 minute mark. Shiftworks detent plate

They way they work is kind of cool. You can literally bang each gear like a ratchet shifter and not worry about hitting reverse when shifting into third.

Dan

Pretty cool. Only thing is he shows too much in his video, even a close up of the plate...looks like it could easily be copied and made on your own.

Using an old post from this site, a piece of steel from an old top alternator bracket and my welder, I modified mine a couple of years ago to ratchet. I like the fact that I don't have to squeeze the handle to go from 1st to 2nd. Just shove it into 2nd and a then a light squeeze and just a tiny forward movement sets it for a shove into 3rd. It won't go into neutral without a full squeeze. It was easy, very inexpensive and it works great.

Dan

Using an old post from this site, a piece of steel from an old top alternator bracket and my welder, I modified mine a couple of years ago to ratchet. I like the fact that I don't have to squeeze the handle to go from 1st to 2nd. Just shove it into 2nd and a then a light squeeze and just a tiny forward movement sets it for a shove into 3rd. It won't go into neutral without a full squeeze. It was easy, very inexpensive and it works great.

Dan

yup.

here is the thread

thanh

as I have no skills I got mine from the Parts Place..it just works the opposite of what Dan did...squeeze for first to second and just a push from second to third....once you get the hang of it the shifts are easy...it makes it a "gate" shifter not a ratchet....

• 2 weeks later...