Header/exhaust leak possibly

ScottNM

So I took my 467 bb MC out for its first run since engine install. There is a ticking sound that increases with MPH. The funny thing is when your are not loading engine in gear and just rev in drive way, it does not make noise. It is only when under load and kinda changes sound slighly with rpm. Just not sure it is a leak but think so. I am using a flex repair type connection from header to exhaust for now. Are there any other possibilities? thanks

Did you retorque the header bolts after they hot hot than cooled back down a couple times? Take a peice of small vacuun hose and put one end up to your ear and the other end move the length of the header flange and anywhere there is a joint in the exhaust with the engine running of corse. This will pin point an exhaust leak or something else.

thanks I will try the hose to ear test. I have not re torqued the bolts yet. I used sanderson headers which only use a silicone RTV type sealeant with no gasket. Many have good luck with the seal on them. Hopefully that will fix it. You would think it would make it when not in gear but until it goes down the road under load, it is quiet.

When I had the flanges break a little loose on some cheap headers I had, it made a sound regardless of being under load or not. Mine sounded more like an air leak with a deep note, and increased in frequency whenever the RPMs went up, even in the driveway in neutral. Kind of a rapid pfft-pfft-pfft-pfft.

Anybody have an exhaust leak that only made noise under load?

Great idea for the hose-to-the-ear thing! I'm going to try that next time I'm trying to locate a noise!

Another method that works for me is to start the car cold.Maybe have a buddy on hand.While everything is cold run your hands or finger for tight spots,all around any joints and flanges.You will feel the exhaust leaking out.You only have a minute before things get too hot.Also.Most leaks will leave a sooty black trail were they are coming out.

Good luck.

it dosent sound like an exaust leak because you would hear it reguardless of what the car is doing..if the car is running you will hear it..weather or not its under load or jus at idle you will hear the exaust leak...Ive had to many exaust leaks not to know...theres something else goin on there if you only hear it under load and it increases with speed and not rpm.....thats something else...sounds like it might be pinging or knocking from bad gas or something...jus my 2 cents!!!

hello my names jacob I am a new junior member and I have saved 2000 up for a 1972 monte carlo and just wanted to say all of you have buetiful cars. I can relate to your exhaustleak my dads truck had a leak near the rear differental it took me a while to cut the pype for the new exhaust to be put on. with nothing but a hacksaw it was hard work but now I have a saw zaw should have went to my gran dads first. It would have save about 3 hours of work. Hope you find that leak soon if you alredy havent!

how do you work with no lights ? I have a big adjustable lamp with halogen lights I use it for body work it lights up every thing.well sorry you dont have lights in your garage.