Flex Plate

Leghome

My 72 Monte has had a starter problem or at least it sounded like a starter problem. When ever you hit the key to start most time it would have this grinding sound. Not the kind of sound you want to hear each time you start the car. I checked the starter that came on the car and it looked good. The flex plate looked good. Thought maybe the starter was the so I took the hi torque starter apart. I used to build and rebuild starters for GM, these here things is a breed a different cat, I could not get it back together correctly. Ordered and new PowerMaster Ultra torque from Summit and installed it. Well the grinding got a whole heck of a lot worse. Sound like a threshing machine chewing up a Model T. Took the inspection cover and saw that there were several teeth on the flexplate chewed up big time. Jamey, my son in-law, laid under the car and I hit the key with the bat cable off the starter and the gear for the starter was only engaging about 3/16th". He got to looking at the plate and thought something seemed strange. The flex plate was installed backwards. A new flex plate has been ordered along with new motor mounts. We are going to pull the motor after our Disney trip and I am going to detail the motor while it is out. New paint in the engine compartment, repaint the engine with Por15 engine paint and I am also thinking about sending the headers out to get ceramic coated. Jamey said he had his done on his Camero and about 15 minutes after shut down he can touch his headers. Is ther anything else that might be down that will improve the appearance while I have it apart?

You may want to run a compression test prior to yanking it all out to see if you have any low cylinders. Got any oil leaks? Ft harmonic damper seal leaking a bit? There is a quick fix sleeve that's a good fix along with a new seal. After a few more ideas, you will have so many things you want to do, so be careful, things tend to snowball!

Bruce

Thats a good one MG I am almost scared to look at the control arm bushings in mine I think some are going. Maybe ill just ignore it. I guess I shouldnt do that, just tring to avoid that snowball!

My front LCA bushings were in very bad shape. One had totally failed such that the centre sleeve had eaten its way through the bushing's exterior shell/casing and was happily grinding away at the actual arm itself. Obviously that had an effect on alignment and explained that front squeek! I had to get the metal built back up before popping in new bushings. Hopefully yours are in better shape.