Nov 69 dated CRN block for 70 SS454 Monte for sale

Dans '70 Z20

This guy is mistaken thinking it is for a Chevelle. Figured if someone was looking to make a correct date coded 1970 SS454 Monte they may have missed this one b/c it was listed wrong. Anyone with an 70 SS car without the original motor looking for a correct casting/dated motor .... this may be the ticket.

Link: Nov 69 "CRN" coded 454 for 70 SS454 on eBay

We @ FGMCC know CRN is correct for a 1970 Monte SS454. Link to support it: Engine Number Coding

Hope it helps someone.

Dan

This guy is mistaken thinking it is for a Chevelle. Figured if someone was looking to make a correct date coded 1970 SS454 Monte they may have missed this one b/c it was listed wrong. Anyone with an 70 SS car without the original motor looking for a correct casting/dated motor .... this may be the ticket.

Link: Nov 69 "CRN" coded 454 for 70 SS454 on eBay

We @ FGMCC know CRN is correct for a 1970 Monte SS454. Link to support it: Engine Number Coding

Hope it helps someone.

Dan

They did use that CRN Dan in 1970 for the chevelle as well in their SS cars it is on www.chevelles.com under engine codes as well...But it is denoted as a 4SPD block and there were NO 4 SPD 454 Monte's in 1970

Darren..just my 2 cents...

1970 Engine ID Codes

Engine Transmission Carb

Code Size HP Auto Manual 1 bbl 2 bbl 4 bbl

CCK 250 155 TH-350 1bbl

CCL 250 155 Manual 1bbl

CCM 250 155 PGlide 1bbl

CKO 396 375 Manual 4bbl

CKP 396 375 Alum TH-400 4bbl

CKQ 396 375 Manual 4bbl

CKR 396/400 330 Manual 4bbl

CKS 396/400 330 Manual 4bbl

CKT 396 375 Manual 4bbl

CKU 396 375 Manual 4bbl

CNC 307 200 Manual 2bbl

CND 307 200 Manual 2bbl

CNE 307 200 PGlide 2bbl

CNF 307 200 TH-350 2bbl

CNI 350 250 Manual 2bbl

CNJ 350 300 Manual 4bbl

CNK 350 300 PGlide 4bbl

CNM 350 250 PGlide 2bbl

CRE 350 300 TH-350 4bbl

CRN 454 360 Manual 4bbl

CRQ 454 360 TH-400 4bbl

CRR 454 450 TH-400 4bbl

CRS 454 450 Alum TH-400 4bbl

CRT 454 360 Manual 4bbl

CRV 454 450 Manual 4bbl

CTW 396 350 TH-400 4bbl

CTX 396 350 Manual 4bbl

CTY 396 375 TH-400 4bbl

CTZ 396 350 Manual 4bbl

Guess it depends where info is derived from. Who knows? Just trying to help out someone with a SS without orig motor.

My question is what denotes a 4spd block? There is nothing other than the three letter code? I guess this guy took his info from the same place you did ....... which means it can be a original Monte 454 motor/ w-auto .....or..... Chevelle 454 motor/ w-4spd simply based on "CRN" code. If both sources are correct it is correct for either car. There is no other ID on the block to figure out exactly which it was originally in .... a Monte/Chevelle or whether a Auto/4spd was mated to it.

If the casting number, three letter "CRN" and date code within specs I would assume it is good then for either.

Dan

Hey Dan, It does get confusing, just when you start to think you have the Letters figured out another Car gets thrown in the mix. I have done the same thing and mentioned a car and block combo and then another car pops up same block code but diff HP or 4spd or Auto... Just like that CRN for both cars and then another one that popped up for me at least would be that CRT code which is for a 4spd block to but a 454-360HP yet the 1970 corvette used the CRT code as well and it was a 4spd 454-390HP....???? strange...

Darren.

I think this seller is trying to capitolize on the # stamping on the motor. There are lots of blocks with the right casting date but they usually have the front pad info machined off. That said, this block only has extra value to ONE car! Just my opinion!

My question is what denotes a 4spd block? There is nothing other than the three letter code? I guess this guy took his info from the same place you did ....... which means it can be a original Monte 454 motor/ w-auto .....or..... Chevelle 454 motor/ w-4spd simply based on "CRN" code. If both sources are correct it is correct for either car. There is no other ID on the block to figure out exactly which it was originally in .... a Monte/Chevelle or whether a Auto/4spd was mated to it.

If the casting number, three letter "CRN" and date code within specs I would assume it is good then for either.

Dan

One possible indicator that it came from a 4-speed car would be the presence of a pilot bearing in the crankshaft.

Also too Bob, I know on my 4 spd block the casting holes for the starter are different too as a 4spd starter wont work on an auto engine and visa versa an auto starter wont work on a 4spd block been there and tried that which is dificult as those dam starters are heavy little suckers when you are trying to bolt them up especially when you notice the bolt holes are in a different location wink oh and the hole for the pivot ball for the Z bar.....

Darren.

Not to contradict anyone here but my 1108430 starter my car came with had a cast iron nose (4spd) swapped onto it somewhere in its life and it fit fine. As far as I know ONLY the cast iron nosed starters (1108418) fit on a 4 spd car but both will fit on a automatic car. This was confiemed on three different chevelle threads.

The only reason a 4spd car requires a cast nose is due to the smaller hole in tranny housing. The aluminum nose is slightly larger and will not fit. Many tranny housings have been cracked when aluminum noses are forced to fit. Mounting holes are in same position on both nose. I was actually told the cast iron noses usually need no shims, where do to lack of accuracy in machining the aluminum ones usually always due. For a 10 year period they were a headache for many Auto electric rebuilders.

Thanks Dan for the clarity, I did look back and you are right,So i was almost on the right path..the 4spd starter will work on a Auto but not an Auto starter on a 4spd block as you mentioned the bellhousing headaches..I also dont have any shims as you mentioned....thks Darren.

• 1 month later...

I am sure you all read this, but:

One source, Chevrolet by the numbers, shows CRN for a 1970 Monte Carlo 454/360 with TH400 where another source, Chevelle, Malibu & El Camino ID numbers 1964-87 shows the CRN code for a manual/4-speed. Every Chevelle LS5 buildsheet I have shows RT for an LS5 w/manual transmission and RQ for an LS5 w/TH400. A Monte Carlo LS5 buildsheet shows RN for an LS5 w/TH400. I'll take the information on a buildsheet over other published data.

Has anyone ever seen a CRN in a Chevelle? I know who cares.. :-} BUT.....

The question should be, can he give us the VIN off the deck, so someone may be able to get their block if so desired?

Nothing like an orphan finding a home!!! 2beers