New rear gears and conversion to posi

MNMike

Anyone have any advice on what products I should look at for converting my rear end to posi and going from 2.73 to 3.42 rear gears? I've got a rebuilt TH350 and a very strong 400 small block in a '70 Monte. I don't drive the car that often, but I live out in the boonies, so when I do it's usually a 100 mile round trip or more.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I'm sure there are members on here that have done this before. What worked well for you?

I am running a Auburn Posi unit with a 3:73 gear in my 10 bolt. My '70 has a 454 bolted to a TH350. Not very good on the highway but allot of fun on the street. I have had this set up for 3 years with no problems.

Hey Mike,

Several options. Eaton Posi are reliable and can be rebuilt. I had an Eaton P track with 3.73 motive gears and moser axles in an 8.2 rear and a h/d rear cover with a th350 and a 385 s/b. I beat the snot out of that combo at the track for 5 years and never had a problem. 8.2 10 bolt is by far the weakest of rears but it held up. crazy

New engine combo is pretty stout for a s/b. I stepped up to a moser 12 bolt housing w/ detroit tru-trac center, 3.73 motive gears, 33 bolt-in style axles and a h/d rear cover. Same th350 with a 10" coan converter(4100 stall).

3.73 gears seem to be a good all around gear for street/strip use with non od transmissons. You could go deeper but then as you know ya start sacrificing street manors.

David

Thanks for the replies - any suggestions where to buy from? Should I stay with the stock axles?

Moser and Randy's Ring and Pinion are just a few places. Axle upgrade is a good thing and not much more money since your upgrading the rest.

David

Just a note, I noticed you mention that when you drive the car, it is for long distances (i.e. 100+ miles), presumably at relatively high speeds. If so, you will find better fuel economy if you stay with 2.73. I debated the idea of changing gears on my car but am not willing to take a drop in mileage across the board making me less likely to want to drive it. However, if you change the tranny to a 700R4 you can apparently have the best of both worlds. Just some food for thought.

Good luck, no matter what you decide.

Good advice.Too bad you already had the TH350 done.A hi stall convertor and gear will make a huge difference.You will still need a posi.After a posi,gear and axles installed you may find a nice 12 bolt or 8.5 for the same money.I would stay away from Richmond gears.Their quality has gone way down in the last couple of years.

Good luck

Just a note, I noticed you mention that when you drive the car, it is for long distances (i.e. 100+ miles), presumably at relatively high speeds. If so, you will find better fuel economy if you stay with 2.73. I debated the idea of changing gears on my car but am not willing to take a drop in mileage across the board making me less likely to want to drive it. However, if you change the tranny to a 700R4 you can apparently have the best of both worlds. Just some food for thought.

Good luck, no matter what you decide.

I'm w/ Mike....3:55s are tuff to beat...best of both worlds. I have an Eaton. My 355s were richmond and my new 411s are Liberty. Both have given me nothing but great performance.

My tranny guy swears by the 3:55 also. If your looking for some gear but want decent cruising rpms I'd go with a set of 3:42 or 3:55's. If you had a big block you could get away with 3:31's due to the extra torque down low but with a small block 3;42's or 3:55's will suit you fine. Just don't expect to be cruisin at 70+mph for that long.

Here is a website with calculators to calculate you rpms at highway speeds with varying gear sizes. It will help you decide.

Wallace Racing Calculators

Dan

I went with an Eaton and 3.42's behind my pretty much stock 402 and love them! A little wound up at 70+ on the highway but not bad around town and on the long back roads. Someday I am going to get a overdrive (not sure which one yet...)

I'm running a 350HP/350CID with TH350 trans and 3.42 gear w/detroit locker and Moser axles in a 12 bolt. The gear is a great compromise on the street and turns around 3100RPM @ 70 on the highway. The locker can get a little tricky in parking lots and tight turns...posi would have been a smoother choice! The set-up has held strong for 5 years with the occasional 175 shot of N2O at the track. I only get around 12MPG on good days...that's the downside.