Car won't start

Xxyyzz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the car? How do i find it

Here is where mine runs to from the coil (HEI) to the IGN in the fuse box. It is the blue or green (depending on your monitor) wire in the picture.

Sorry it's a but blurry I held the camera up there to take a couple of shots and didn't realize it was a bit blurry but you can get the idea from this I hope.

DSCN1039.jpg

Like I mentioned before, the wire coming from the starter is tied into the old points wire, and if I'm not mistaken only gives 12volts while cranking to boost up the power. After that it goes away and power is less than 12volts to feed the old points. If you have the HEI like I picured just get yourself an HEI pigtail and run a wire from it through the small hole located to the left of your power brake booster, probably have to remove a small rubber gromet, and route it to the fuse box that is right under your driver side dash. You'll see it marked like pictured above, attach a female spade on it, and plug it in... that's it. Turn the key and watch it start, if that doesn't fix it, not sure what you may have did.

I picked up the top one made by ACCEL at the local Advance Auto. Keep in mind you'll have to extend the wire since it's only a couple inches long. The red one is all you need to mess with right now, the other one is if you want to hook up a TAC.

my local auto parts store would have to special order it :-/ thanks a ton for the advice i will keep you guys updated. Arrgg looks like someone used a bunch of black caulk/sealant on the small hole located to the left of my power brake booster. Ill have to pick it out.

You can get the fancy terminal end that fits into your distributor and clips into place like the original, or you can use any piece of wire with one of these at each end.

85552-007.jpg

You can get the fancy terminal end that fits into your distributor and clips into place like the original, or you can use any piece of wire with one of these at each end.

85552-007.jpg

Simplicity at its best. "Simplicity is sometimes elusive, but almost always present. Sometimes you just need to know where to look for it, or how to look for it". smile Just what I did.. lol

The second terminal is for a Tachometer signal. All you need is one going to the BAT or + terminal (which is the one on the right looking at the 2 connectors) going to the Ing terminal in the fuse box and it will run.

The cap looks like this from above:

image019.jpg

Underneath this are two bare terminals facing downward. You can see them with a small mirror, or undo the cap so you can rotate it and see the bottom.

The wire terminal on the Left (marked tach) is where you hook a wire going to your tachometer if you have one. The terminal on the Right (marked Bat) is the terminal where you hook your wire to feed power to the unit....the other end of this wire should go to the fuse box inside the car to a terminal there marked "IGN".

The "IGN" terminal in the fuse box is turnrd on & off by your ignition key switch. When you turn on the ignition, it will send battery power to that "IGN" terminal, through the wire you provide, and end up at the BAT terminal on your distributor cap.

...So all you really need is a single wire connected from the BAT terminal on your cap to the IGN terminal on your fuse box.

Well, almost.

There IS a BAT terminal on the fuse box also, but that provides constant current no matter what position your key switch is in...it would be better to use the IGN terminal so you can turn off the car later. LOL

ok i found the IGN terminal. pretty simple. Hopefully here is my last problem: I took out the 2 screw on the fuse box in the car and was able to pull the box forward. BUt if i run the wire through i can almost garuantee (sp?) it will get pinched. Am I missing a different spot or a trick?

-Mark

Yea. Don't try bringing the wire tru from the back of the fuse box. You need to snake the wire through from some other passage...maybe the grommet where the steering column comes through the firewall, or some other area or hole where wires already pass through. Once you get through to the inside with the wire, it simply clips onto the IGN terminal on the front of the fuse box. There is no access on the back side of the fuse box.

The big bunch of wires that is coming out of your firewall in a rubber grommet... if you don't care about making a small notch in it than pull it out, notch a section of it, push the wire inside and into the notch you created so it's not rubbing against the metal hole. That's about all there is to it. I would not start unhooking more things to you at least get the thing started and see if that's even the problem, heck if the wire is long enough run it in your door and plug it in and start the car to see if it works.

All along this process..(new power wire) one could install a kill switch at a location of choice. An excellent idea. My 72 has one and when I flip the switch you will not get it started. Mine is hidden under the dash but within reach from the drivers seat. I have turned it of a few times and forgot to flip it back on. After a couple of tries I hit myself on the forehead and say dummy flip the one switch or you will sit here all nite LOL LOL