Car won't start

Xxyyzz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so thanks to all your help the car now runs! BUt it makes a G_d-awful shrieking noise now. (keep in mind I just replaced starter & alternator)

I havent wired it through the firewall yet (just through the door) or spliced in the kill switch, but that is just busy work for later

I don't think it could be a misaligned starter after the car is running, could it? I loosened and tightened the alternator belt, to no avail. Im scared to loosen/tighten too much.

Any ideas?

Click this ITS A VIDEO

th_030812221759.jpg

I could be wrong, but to me it sounds like the starter is staying engaged. Take a look to see if the starter gear (small gear) is touching the ring gear (large gear) when the engine is off.

shimming the starter would correct the noise if the starter is the cause.shims can be purchased at any part store.

it sounds to me like the alternator fan blade is rubbing the housing?

can you have someone crank it while you watch/

or look at the blades of the alternator and see if one is touching the housing.

Easy thing to do is remove all fan belts, start it up, if noise is gone it's not the starter. Spin the Alt, Water pump / fan to see / hear if they are hitting anything.

it sounds to me like the alternator fan blade is rubbing the housing?

I gotta agree with Bob it sounds as if the "alternator" fan (pulley) is rubbing the alt housing & or bracket. I thought I seen sparks flying in your video.

OK, so it was the starter. I installed two shims and now and it doesn't shriek while its running. It still kinda shrieks while starting. Could it need more then 2 shims?

BUT now it makes an irregular tapping sound. (it may have been a previous noise, but I really don't think so. No rhyme or rhythm to when it taps if that helps.

th_030912211843.jpg

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for your help.

-Mark

So first video sounded like the alternator as noted, but since you changed the starter with a few shims and it went away obviously that was not it. And in the first video there was stray voltage arching around in there so turn off the lights start the car and watch for it. As for the tapping noise it is likely it was there before you didn't notice it. I think it sounds like a collapsed lifter or even rocker arm clearance on valve.

Have you recently done an oil change or checked to see if the fluid is low? Also you may want to run some oil treatment designed for this purpose and see if it helps before opening anything up to check.

It didn't sound loud, but if it's something your noticing now that you didn't and to you it's loud maybe it's a concern to check. Or maybe it just needs a GOOD RUN to blow the cobwebs and carbon out of it?

Scott

going to use some Lucas oil and a friend of mine is going to come over and check/adjust my rockers/lifters for some beer/cigars... cheap mechanic!

-Mark

going to use some Lucas oil and a friend of mine is going to come over and check/adjust my rockers/lifters for some beer/cigars... cheap mechanic!

-Mark

Good luck! cheap mechanic, beer stogies, friend = too much partying maybe lil work.. lol

even if i got the wrong one and i have to buy a new one ive already wired it for 2terminals and my HEI going to ign terminal with a kill switch. so id need a new style one