Car won't start

Xxyyzz

Just replaced the starter and alternator. I'm thinking it's 1 of 2 things because I can hear the starter working. #1 I need to remove shims/spacers from starter. or #2 the alternator belt is too tight.

Any way to narrow down the problem?

-Mark

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had someone underneath on the rack while I tried to crank and found that a starter I was putting on was not coming out and grabbing the teeth, it was just hitting the flywheel. I ended up getting a new/refurb one and slapped it on and had no need for the spacers. Is the engine even turning over? In my case the stater was making some noises but not turning the engine over.

OK, i wasnt able to get a vid, but i watched the engine bay while someone cranked it.

The alternator fan IS turning, which means the engine is turning over, which means its not the starter. Could it be something to do with the firing order or not getting fuel?

If you read my "starter" thread I don't have the wire that went from the Mallory Ignition to the starter anymore.

-Mark

Or maybe it is the starter and it is too far and is semi-engaging and i need to remove the spacers. I'm just scared if I remove them and try i may damage the teeth

"lost in translation"... Cranking vs starting is always misconstrued. Let's understand the real issue at hand? You replaced the stater with one you bought from Jegs, that differs from the one you took off. Right? Since then the car turns over (cranks) but will not start? Have I got it right? "The solenoid on the Jegs mini stater differs from the stock (standard) stater a bit and so does the wiring, but not by much".

If it's not starting (running) after you crank on it, and it was running before, one would assume it's something you did. Then you gotta go to basics, timing, compression, spark, fuel. I strongly believe it's something you've overlooked and simple to fix. I'd start by making sure whatever ignition you're using (electronic vs standard )that you have power to the ignition coil.

Ignition problems are easy to troubleshoot with a multimeter or minimum a 12v test light.. first find-out if you're missing voltage to the coil with the key in the ignition mode... If you have that let's go from there. smile

Just a thought, did you original starter have a wire on the "R" terminal of the solenoid? If it did what did you do with it? If it is grounded somewhere the engine will not start. Disconnect it at the coil.

Thats pretty good you did your starter and now wont start I did mine and it wouldnt shut off after it started. Mike (geartech) pointed me in the right direction and I found the problem, thanks again Mike. Yours sounds like a wireing issue if I remember correctly your replacement only had 2 terminals and orig had 3 what did you do with that wire?

I just taped it up. Coming out pf distributor to nothing. Should it go somewhere else.

How do i check voltage at the coil? I have the two prongs, but where do i stick em? Ive never had this problem before i swear ;-)

It sounds like you may have an ignition with a stand alone coil (factory style). I would suggest that you disconnect the power lead from the coil. It should be the one on the side of the coil with positive mark (+) there will probably be two wires one of them would be the wire that was on the "R" terminal of the starter the other is the power wire. Disconnect the power wire and with the key on you should have 12 volts or so between it and ground. I know it is a resistance wire but with no current flow it should be the same voltage as the battery.

If the ignition was replaced with a HEI big cap distributor check the voltage of the pink wire that plugs into the cap.

If you switched to HEI like I did, which honestly it sounds like we both did the same exact work the last couple weeks, then you need to be providing 12v to the HEI and not be using the wires that were originally feeding the coil. Just got to Advance Auto and pickup a HEI/TACH feed wire and run it from the fuse box where it says IGN and plug it into the HEI cap.

Is this what you have?

512813.jpg

There is really not much to these cars and if the engine is turning over, as in the belts/pulles are spinning, it's probably just coming down to how you ended up providing power to the new HEI. I didn't have time for something fancy, but it worked and I have no issues.