New tires

i bought my firestone indy 500 275/60/15 tires from tirebuyer.com

nice tires and got 2 for under $200.

heres the tip of the day.... before buying anything online google a coupon code for them. saved an extra $25

I have heard of some guys around here that bought tires online and then had a problem. They had to buy a tire locally so they could send the damaged one back at their own cost and then the claim was denied. I guess it is another buyer beware but then others have had problems and they were well taken care of.

I'm in need of replacing my good old BF Goodrich GT Qualifiers.

BF Goodrich GT Qualifiers?! Those must be pretty rare, Scooter! (GT Qualifiers are made by Dunlop, aren't they?)

wink

An older friend of mine - who is kind of a "father figure" for me - has had both Cooper Cobras and BF Goodrich Radial T/As on his '87 Monte Carlo LS (which he factory-ordered the way he wanted it as basically an SS in LS trim). He said there was no comparison between the two and that the BFGs were a much better tire.

However, tire manufacturers are constantly updating their products, so maybe today's Cobras are better than they were before, but I don't know. I'd recommend looking at ratings/comparisons and customer reviews on websites like www.tirerack.com . That's what I've done prior to making several tire purchases in the last ten years or so, and have been very pleased with my decisions.

The last time I bought tires for my Monte (in 2006) I narrowed it down to BF Goodrich Radial T/As and Goodyear Eagle GTIIs - which both had similar reviews, scores, and high customer ratings. I wanted to buy them from a particular local retailer and availability at that time in the size I wanted ultimately ended up being the tie-breaker. The GTIIs replaced the 20 year-old Goodyear Eagle STs that I had been so happy with, so my Monte's been "going Goodyear" since 1986.

No matter what, though, I wouldn't let my choice of tires be made primarily by the best/lowest price. Tires are something that I definitely don't feel it's worth it to "skimp" on. They are truly an item where I like to apply this adage:

"Quality is Remembered Long After Price is Forgotten."

smile

Dave

Dunlop GT Qualifiers

BFG Radial TA's ....... confused 'em Scotty! LOL

The Dunlops GT Qualifiers are no longer made but the BFG Radial TA's are. They were back ordered for a while when they switched the plant that was manufacturing them and had to re-tool. But all sizes are back in stock and available Since mid 2011.

Here is link: Available sizes bottom of page Radial TA's

I have heard that the Coopers were a quality tire. They are good quality and less money b/c they do not do all the advertisinf that others do. Same reason why Dunlop's are usually less money and still a high quality tire in each class of tire. Less money on advertising.....less cost to customer. Simple equation.

Couple guys around here run the Firestones but I don't have any feedback for you. UPDATE: Just checked. Doesn't sem as if the RWL Firehawks are available anymore. Only the Firestone Indy 500's are available in 15" but they are black wall only.

Dan