Stripped out header bolt.

Andy Gargagliano

Put my headers on my 72 Monte 350 engine today.Front header bolt on passenger side Appears to be stripped.It will finger tighten and then when i put a wrench on it it just spins.I b ought these heads from someone and was not aware it was stripped!Would a metric bolt have a slightly larger thread size work? Need help.Thanks.

Are the heads aluminum or iron? The best method would be to retap it one size up...sticking a metric bolt in the stripped out hole might seem like it worked till the metal expands and contracts with the heating cycle and it will then loosen right up.

It should come in a kit for each size and thread pitch, everything you need comes in it. drill out the old hole and tap it with the supplied tap and screw in the new threads with the tool supplied. Instructions should be supplied in the kit. We used to use then a lot in the brake shop on the caliper mounting holes when stripped.

One other thing to check is how long was the bolt, you may need a longer bolt and the threads deeper in the head may be OK

X2 on the longer bolt. But there is no shame if you have to go heli-coil. The only snag might be clearance to get a drill in straight. You might need to use a right-angle drill motor. I would try the longer bolt first. definatly the cheaper route. Good luck David