timing

monte70car

I took a look at my timing(had to lock out the dist) my motor seems to like 16° base timing. Anyone think that to much base? Set that high there is no response from the motor when playing with the throttle it just wants to cut off. Idling in gear is about 1krpm. Once the switch is cut off it has a hard time restarting. The dist I have in the motor is a digital E-curve where I can adjust the timing with rotary switches under the cap.

Mine was that way for a long time; I had to run a lot of base timing to get any throttle response and a decent idle. The problem was with my centrifugal/ vacuum distributor, it started running rough as rpm went up. It wasn't real bad, but obvious not running real smooth on the highway at cruise. With that much timing it was hard for the starter to crank the engine when restarting.

My problem turned out to be fuel mixture. I had it running way lean and it liked the high timing to mask the issue...but as speed went up it was too much. I was able to fatten the idle mixture and it let me run less timing and less idle speed.

Do you have eye-burning exhaust fumes?

It does not give the burning eyes when standing behind it. But it is hard to start with the 16 degree timing. Then once its cut off its hard to restart. The dis is still locked out so ill take some timing out and try again.

I'm tellin' ya, use a Vacuum gauge to better tune your timing and idle. Google around about tuning with a vacuum gauge (for both timing and carb)

350 Small block, you should be able to idle at 500-600 rpm in gear... and start quick. 1000 rpm idle in gear is way too much.

I am cam'd pretty heavy and I can still fire up with no issue and idle at 400 in gear without stalling (no stall converter either) and plenty of power off the line.

Been checking the injection website and they came out with a new version of the dash board where is would show spark control if you have a box. After reading the new manual for the injection system I have it says if you are seeing high exhaust temps you need more timing. I plan to play with the timing more over the weekend.

Been checking the injection website and they came out with a new version of the dash board where is would show spark control if you have a box. After reading the new manual for the injection system I have it says if you are seeing high exhaust temps you need more timing. I plan to play with the timing more over the weekend.

Wait -- I missed the part that you put an injection system on...

The injection system is a Powerinection 3 system that I picked up last trying to bump up the mpg from 13.5 to 15 or so. 026-2.jpg I know when I put the new cam in, in Feb. I line both the crank gear and the cam gear straight up with dots pointing at 12o'clock. I might have to do the timing with my laptop hooked up which will make it easy to see the rpms while looking at the vacuum gauge and turning the dist and adjusting the butterflies. With this injection system the front and back butterflies most work together in a 1:1 ratio.

Rob does the injection controller control the timing like my edelbrok system? Mine has me put it in base mode like a old gm computer controlled system set the base at 10deg and then all others settings are controlled by the controller.....

That stinks! How much more do they want for that? So it is a glorified carburetor? Timing and fuel control go hand in hand for performance and fuel economy...

The spark control ecu is $405 plus shipping. I already downloaded the new software just have to see what my ecu shows. Didn't get to it today as I was busy on another project which will make me miss carlise next weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading post about the new tuning software for the system it would not work at all with the ECU on the throttle body, and $405 can be used in other location. For less then $405 I swap back to the old carb set with a mechanical fuel pump and stock steel per bent fuel line. IMAG0061.jpg I also got my TV bracket from Bowtie overdrive IMAG0062.jpg It's a good thing my air cleaner isn't a drop base IMAG0063.jpg the flat air cleaner just barely touches the fuel line.

After a week of waiting for parts the swap from the old EFI (nothing but headaches) back to a stock style Quadrajet is over. I finished removing all the parts from the old system yesterday. This morning took a while to get it going had to fill the fuel bowls with an mechanical pump which wasn't fun, had to adjust the idle screw set to low. About two taps of the throttle and she'll start up and run. The base timing going by my advance timing light(knob the back) it has 16° of timing idle at 1k rpm's but my vacuum gauge only should 5 inches of vacuum at the base of the carb which I don't think is right. here is a small video I did this morning http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/monte70car/?action=view&current=001-30.mp4 I know I have alot of tuning to do but it was close for a carb setting three years and a new cam. I do not see any metal shaves in the oil so it doesn't look like any damage to the cam but the plugs are carbon foul so I know something isn't set right.