Hydroboost?

Has anyone here converted to a hydroboost system? I'm considering it because my stock system just feels too "mushy" for my liking.

I could go the cheaper route and get a new plated vacuum booster and master combo, but I'm worried that the braking performance (pedal feel) will be the same as what I have now.

If I were to go with the hydroboost conversion, I'd like to find everything needed in a single kit or from a single supplier... I don't want to have to scavenge for oddball adaptor fittings and such after the fact to make it work.

Any experience out there, or words of wisdom?

My experiance with hydro boost is it does indeed feel mushy when stepping on the pedal, I can push the pedal to the floor on most of them I have driven while in park, when moving you can't do that without flying through the windshield. It is just a strange feeling pedal, different from wht you are used too if you have never driven a vehicle with it. The only reason to convert to it is you have a radical cam that makes less than 14 inches of vac. The best mod I did to my braking system as far as pedal feel was a set of braided lines to replace the oem rubber ones.

I have the braided lines already. I've tried replacing the stock-type master and booster seperately but still have the same "iffy" pedal feel. I've replaced everything in the system except the front calipers...all new drums, stainless lines, proportioning valve, master, booster, check valves, wheel cylinders, pads, shoes.... and still have what seems like a low pedal and spongy feedback. I'm thinking that the factory system is just this way and maybe it's working correctly. No ammount of bleeding (bench, pressure, or pedal) seems to make a difference.

My thought was that maybe the hydroboost would give a better feel from inside the car. I suppose that modern cars have spoiled me and I'm seeking something that is never going to happen with this old system, but I've had old cars with 4-wheel drum brakes that gave me more confidence...at least those had a high, firm pedal that I could lean against.

Still looking for input on the hydroboost experience. smile

Low pedal is caused by 2 things, rear brakes not adjusted properly or the linkage between the pedal and master not adjusted properly or incorrect parts. On the booster there is a pin that pushes the master cylinder and some are adjustable. The master cylinders have two styles of pistons in them one has a hole that is deeper than the other, if your using mismatched parts you will experiance to much play before the clearance is taken up.

There are numerous vendors out there with complete kits available SSBC and CCP both come to mind. Also check over at Team Chevelle, same system as we use.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254644

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376970

I've been researching the hydraboost set-up for my 72 Monte. It sounds like the way to go for all-round better feel and performance. It is a little more expensive but I'm hoping it is worth the extra $$.

• 4 weeks later...