Exhaust comparison vids--Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow

Heckeng

Hey all, I wanted to quiet down the Monte some so I changed out my old exhaust. In the process, I did it in pieces so I could get videos and DB readings of both systems with and without the tailpipes.

I went from 3" Flowmaster 50 Delta series mufflers with tailpipes to 22" long 3" dia Magnaflow mufflers with tailpipes.

dblevelsforexhausts.jpg

Here are the videos:

Original Exhaust

Original Exhaust with tailpipes removed

New Magnaflow Mufflers without tailpipes

New Magnaflow Mufflers with tailpipes

Overall, I think the Flowmaster with no tailpipes sounded the meanest, but it was also the loudest which sucks on long trips. Both exhausts had significant interior resonances. Something that was interesting was that the Flowmaster noise behind the car actually was reduced by removing the tailpipes. I assume this is because the baffles disrupt the sound waves and instead of them flowing straight through in the direction of the exhaust flow, the baffles in the Flowmaster cause the sound waves to bounce all over when they exit the muffler and the body of the car and the ground probably dampen the sound. Just my guess.

The sound types that these mufflers put out is also very different. I was surprised at the differences. Both sound good, but completely different.

Interesting, I would have thought removing that much in tail pipe would be much louder.

It's relatively tough to find something which gives you that great idle/slow cruise sound and just the right amount of background rumble at highway speeds.

From the vids, here's what I concluded

Flowmasters = NASCAR: mean, aggressive, edgey

Magnaflows = Motorboat: mellower, streetable, non-boy racer

For your needs, you probably made the right choice. So are you happy with the Mags. Are they a baffled or chambered muffler?

I purchased a set of the Dynomax Hemi Turbos. I believe they are 21 or 22" long. Haven't heard them yet but hoping they sound close to the Magnaflows. I like that deep tone at idle and subdued tone at high rpm.

I have a full 3" Torque Tech system with X-pipe. My tailpipes fit like your tailpipes on the Magnaflow set-up. They set below the side of quarter panel behind the rear wheel. I am just curious which 3" tailpipes you used with the flowmaster set up. They seem to have a much higher/tighter fit. Do you remember what brand they were? ..... or were they bent locally at a shop.

BTW: The addition of an X-pipe not only will reduce noise levels (because it will balance the exhaust pulses L/R) but it will reduce/eliminate the resonance you are experiencing.

Seems with Flowmasters there is no way to avoid resonance. Monteman71 had an X-pipe on his green 402/4spd with flowmasters and he still had a nasty resonance from 2100-2500rpms. But I bet if you added an x-pipe to the Magnaflows it may solve your issue.

Thanks.

Dan

I had both Flowmasters and Magnaflows.

Finally settled on the Magnaflows. Flowmasters were wearing me out at highway speeds...

Great comparison! I like the FlowMasters personnally. I've just installed a set of Flowmaster 44's on a SBC355, I'll try to do something similar to give everyone listen......

Thanks for sharing the data and videos of the muffler comparison, Scott. You've probably saved other club members more time, money and frustration than you'll ever know!

I had an opportunity to buy a pair of Flowmaster 44s in great condition for only $20 at a garage sale last winter. After hearing your comparision, I'm glad I passed and can appreciate now why they were for sale. I really prefer the more mellow sound of the Magnaflows - but to each his own.

Finally settled on the Magnaflows. Flowmasters were wearing me out at highway speeds...

I love the Flowmasters I got from you Andreas!!!

They both sounded really good. My favorite sound were actually the Flowmasters without tailpipes--just sounds mean! But, like Andreas said, they wear you out. I ran them that way for years and got TONS of compliments and had ringing ears more than I would have liked. Since I added the tailpipes, and now that I have even quieter exhaust, I have not and am pretty sure I will not get nearly as many compliments on the sound but it will be more pleasant to drive.

Originally Posted By: Andreas

I love the Flowmasters I got from you Andreas!!!

Yeah they are great around town... Glad you like them

As promised, I made a little video. Hope I'm doin this right... Just installed a set Hookers with 2.25" pipe, FlowMaster 44's & high-torque starter. (Notice how quick the starter turns her over!) Also installed new NGK plugs and a coolant overflow container. It sounds a bit 'tinny' when idling for some reason on this video??!! Just click on the photo......

th_P9010055.jpg