454 LS5 vs 454 LS6

Chevyss

Is there anyone here that can help me with information. I've just purchased an LS5 and I want to upgrade that 454 to the LS6 specs. Is there anywhere you can buy a crate 454 with the same specs? Thanks in advance

Royce I think the difference in the ls5 and the l6 is one had a hyd cam(ls5) and one having a solid cam(ls6). Most of the ls6 had an alum intake and probably reg port heads. As for buying a crate motor if can be down. I know GM has a 454 with 425hp which comes with alum intake and then they had a 454 450hp alum intake and alum heads. The 454 for our 70 El Camino is rated at 450hp with boat oval port heads on it.

the heads will be different (rectangular port)

pistons ( speed pro L2349) are copies of originals and will pop compression up to 11:1

LS6 had a 4 bolt main cap block and forged crankshaft

solid lifter camshaft

there are other things I can't remember off the top of my head, you would probably need to run race fuel too

and no LS6's were installed into cars that had air conditioning

I think I know where a original LS6 is....

Royce is this supposed to be a numbers matching car? If so be careful what you play with because unlike the Monte's messing with a numbers matching Chevelle can dramatically affect the value. If it's a numbers matching LS5 with documentation (build sheet) it's a pretty valuable car (an authenticated build sheet is the only way to prove it's even an SS, everything can be faked, whole different big money world from our beloved Monte's).

If it's the real deal and you want to play with it then pull the motor and bag it, don't modify it. You can get a complete 468 motor from someone like Mark Jones that makes an easy 560hp, runs on pump gas and costs less than $6000.....

Could you use the LS5 block with the LS6 heads, cam, intake?

I'd rather find a complete LS6 and just swap it out and keep the LS5 just in case. Thanks

a real LS6 motor would cost a fortune...

Hello Davey;

Your right when it come to a true 512 LS6. They want a ton of cash for that one. Just like the cars. I'm working my way up to an LS6. Of course when I get there they will be another $50,000. I looks at a bunch of them and the cheapest one was $97,000.00. Some as high as $149,000.00. Come on Lotto.

Yes all the LS6 goodies will bolt right on a LS5. You might want to rethink the cam though because the LS6 cam is a solid lifter cam and not the best choice for anything that will sit for any period of time. It will fatigue the valves springs that are open, and require periodic adjustments. I had this setup in my Monte for the first 10 years I owned it, now I have the 990 rectangle port heads, a Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake on it.

Both LS-5 and LS-6 blocks are the same as my LS-5 was a 512 block and I put the LS-6 heads on 290's with the larger Valves and ports plus the solid lift cam and lifters that was correct externally balanced the only thing that was missing was the correct Winters allum intake and I was pushing 430hp and even had the Machine shop hound me to buy the heads I had. Came with correct brass sleeves and guides.. So it can be done as the blocks are the same and I still have an LS-6 carb sitting in the cupboard.. But only did it as mine was a correct date coded engine for the chevelle but was not the correct numbers match engine and tranny 4spd which if your is Royce there is no way in heck I would beef it up or change it at all with all paperwork that chevelle is worth big bucks.. As rare as the LS-6 is people really forget how rare the LS-5 is still..That Chevelle you have there Royce is one of the most wanted and popular combos wanted, code 75 with black stripes and wide ovals with a 454 and a 4spd is what people were after it was the top selling LS-5 combo and desired other than the King of the Hill LS-6 that was Black with the Red interior with the 4spd as well was the big dollar car as you mentioned. But day in and Day out I would NOT mess with what you have Royce all its gonna do is go up in value and is cash in the bank as they say and not gloating I have had my fair share of 1970 chevelles ss cars. That is too nice of a car to clone to an LS-6 if its all numbers match with Docs. Just my 2 cents worth.. Like Davey....!!...

Darren.

Hello Davey;

Your right when it come to a true 512 LS6. They want a ton of cash for that one. Just like the cars. I'm working my way up to an LS6. Of course when I get there they will be another $50,000. I looks at a bunch of them and the cheapest one was $97,000.00. Some as high as $149,000.00. Come on Lotto.

boy and when and if you do that make sure you get very educated about them...there are some amazingly good fakes out there..right down to the fake build sheets..it's big business in the Chevelle world ( we joke that there are probably more LS6 Chevelles now than were built)....there are a couple of guys out there who specialize in these cars..hook up with them before you pony up to an LS6...here's one registry....

http://macswebs.com/registry/index.htm

Wish I would have known your intentions I had a virgin LS-5 sitting in the garage we could have shipped it in the trunk lol. If you intend on making a LS-6 I would bag the original. As others have said use a crate motor or another 454 and not the original.

• 3 weeks later...

Build a standard 454 and use a solid roller cam with gentle ramps and a wide lash to get the solid lifter sound and longevity as long as you use pin oiled lifters. And use oval port heads as they will make more power anyway than the rect ports. $300 for a repro intake that has better AL than the originals is available. Deep groove pulleys are a must for looks. This can be done pretty easily. But as others have said leave the original motor as is.

The motor in my Chevelle can be built for $4500 and it makes 475 hp and 520 #ft I built it for $2900 3 yrs ago.